Author: voice_cd

Gap year, pro or con ?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-6-13 14:56:51 |Display all floors
For me, I should avoid it as a way to shun society, Actually I will graduate from college in less than one week, and I don't have a gap year, nor can I choose to. but I would prefer to do some volunteering work,  helping the education in less developed areas e.g. as for traveling, I can only say traveling to travel is too much boring and tiring, while exploring the wildness would be uplifting.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-14 11:31:22 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-14 11:54:59 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-14 16:00:06 |Display all floors
I believe the idea of a "gap year"  came from America and has spread throughout the west. If such a time off work can be afforded, it is an opportunity for a young person to experience doing something different, exciting, exotic... hopefully valuable. Many volunteer to work in poor countries or deprived areas for a year. Many experience work and life in areas otherwise alien to them; fruit picking in Israel or manual labour restoring canals. Unfortunately for some a gap year is just an excuse to do and contribute nothing.
In China students work long hours for many years to achieve success in education. Once this period of time in their lives is over, their choices of what to do are limited by their wealth. The education system does not enable or empower them to make decisions easily. Some go through the system with no idea of what they want to do as adults. The lucky ones want to spend time travelling. Some volunteer to help in third world countries like parts of Africa. Few wish to continue education. For most Chinese students there is no choice but to find employment, therefore a gap year in this country is for the rich.
English teacher and education adviser. China needs a teaching profession with less fear and more trust and honesty.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-14 17:13:37 |Display all floors
Gaokao originally is only join here,,,,,

The important problem is, at the"gap year",some people jump into the lake.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-15 10:14:03 |Display all floors
I took my gap year after completing my third year of university. I was sick and tired of the grind of study, work, and classes. I got a job treating telephone/electric poles in South Carolina. I made some money and killed some rattlesnakes along the way. At the end, I was happy to return to the grind of university life. I got through without one dime of burden to my parents. I paid for my education myself, but boy oh boy, what a schedule. Work in a hospital for 8 hours,  go back and study for four hours, make classes, catch some winks, and off to work again. It was rough, but I got nobody chasing me for college loans.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-6-15 14:39:28 |Display all floors
I am in favor of the idea to have a gap year. But I don't think the time is satisfying. After gaokao, students often acts like birds out of cages. They do many crazy things. According to my experience and some of friends', students in this transitional period are usually irrational. So I think may be during their college years they can have a gap year. That sounds better and more pratical. Actually, one of my friends are on the similar journey this year, but in the meantime he is a graduate student. Seeing from his posts, he enjoys his life and his study in a free and natural way.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.