Author: kenein

Share your favorite books [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-4-30 14:29:50 |Display all floors
For me, In no order

The Gunslinger series - stephen king
Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling (it was my childhood after all)
The discworld series - Terry Pratchett
The road to wigan pier - George Orwell
1984 - George Orwell
The ender's game saga - William Scott Card
A song of Ice and fire series - George RR Martin (and yes, I was one of the people who had read it before the series was even in creation)
The dark materials trilogy - Phillip Pullman
The Sally Lockhart Series - Phillip Pullman

I am not a fan of classics, I have read a fair few in a bid to enjoy them...and found myself put off by the style which I cannot appreciate. Modern classics are not so bad, I quite enjoyed Fitzgerald and Kerouac when I read them, but I wouldn't say they were my favourite books. For me, Books are a kind of escapism. It needs a good strong setting to really get me invested in a book. The gunslinger series achieved this like no other. I dread it becoming a movie however which their are talks of them doing. It really, really will struggle to work as a movie and will ruin the entire ending if it is over in the space of a few hours. The ending is nothing without the build up and the epilogue by stephen King. (important considering stephen king is a character in his own book)
You know that every time I try to go
Where I really want to be
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-4-30 14:31:54 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2015-4-30 06:57
I was told their tanks had 6 gears, one forward and 5 reverse

True, and the seats were brown colored.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2015-4-30 14:38:43 |Display all floors
Jarek Post time: 2015-4-30 14:31
True, and the seats were brown colored.

Stops the stains showing

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2015-4-30 14:57:26 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2015-4-30 13:57

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-4-30 15:39:52 |Display all floors
seanboyce88 Post time: 2015-4-30 14:21
I am a big scifi fan and so is my step dad. He has been raving all his life about the lensman seri ...

The Lensman series is available on Kindle.  Finding the books is difficult, eBay is one choice or have friends scour the second hand bookstores.k There are current printings out there but they are not the cheapest nor easiest to find.

The Lensman series was a "space opera" series, that is a serial. By today's standards it's a bit dated but the books are riveting, lots of adventures, fast packed and very Art Deco sort of depictions.  Well worth the read if you can find them.  So is the "Skylark" series by EE Doc Smith.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-4-30 15:42:50 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2015-4-30 13:57

Factual inaccuracy, I've seen them in real life.

1 forward speed (slow), 18 reverse gears including the essential brown stain inducing "Getta me the duck outa here"

The only exception were the Alpina tanks, they were 12 forward, one reverse.  
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-4-30 15:45:40 |Display all floors
seanboyce88 Post time: 2015-4-30 14:29
For me, In no order

The Gunslinger series - stephen king

Given your tender age (youngster) the classics won't be really readable for you for another 20 years or so years (if ever) as most youngsters lack the essential knowledge to understand them.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.