Author: UYA

Why I gave up on America   [Copy link] 中文

Medal of honor July's Best Writer 2012 June's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2015-4-9 21:23:50 |Display all floors
ADIR Post time: 2015-4-9 21:18
Ahh, OK.
I bet many were just like you back then.
There are still people wanting to move to the st ...

Taxes, Insurance, tickets, and tips

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-4-10 02:53:22 |Display all floors
emanreus Post time: 2015-4-9 17:57
"but on here we get a different story"

Yes, indeed you do.

if the media is about deception, then i guess i cant have any respect for anyone who works for the media

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-4-10 04:27:45 |Display all floors
There is no country in the world that is not looking after their own interests first.

Its unreasonable to expect a country to have the best interests of 'the world' as their foreign policy.  Its not going to ever happen because it doesn't make sense.  

Now...an international body, like the UN, is more of an appropriate place to put those expectations on.  Except we need a UN that does more than just write reports.   

I understand what you are saying, but the answer is not for the US to be a better world leader, the answer is for a strong, democratic international body.  Only then could you ever expect anything close to fairness.  You have to understand that right?

China will always put the interests of China above anyone else.  They are no different in that regard than the US or anyone else.  Only difference is there is never any expectation that China will help other countries.  So there is nothing to be mad at when they fail to meet expectations.  We already know they don't care.  At least they are more upfront about it than trying to claim (as some US leaders have), to be the answer to all the world's problems.

We are not the only arms exporter.  Russia and China are right up there with the US.  Here is the top 5

1. USA
2. Russia
3. Germany
4. China
5. France

Does anyone condemn Germany for their selling arms?  France?   Everyone is doing these things if they can.  And you are right - it doesn't make the world a safer place.  But you can't condemn one without condemning the others.

A few years ago the First Nation's people collectively sent a letter to China begging them to Shame Canada and stop the oil deal they were proposing.  That oil deal meant further destruction of native lands that were supposedly under native control.  China did not care about the first nations and signed the deal with Canada.  They are going to put their own interests first - just like every other country in the world.

The only way to have checks and balances is to fix the UN so that it works for everyone.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-4-10 06:06:57 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2015-4-9 15:27
There is no country in the world that is not looking after their own interests first.

Its unreasona ...

Very interesting JFenix. Yes. The politicians in each country seem to get elected only when they appear to support the narrower national interests of their countries. But sometimes they sneak something more humanitarian past the voters. Jimmy Carter tried that (with little success). Nelson Mandela did it. Mikhail Gorbachev managed it. And I think Presidents Xi and Obama are trying.
What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-4-10 06:09:46 |Display all floors
Take a good look at what President Obama is trying. He does not march to the tune of the rich. Why do you think the Republicans hate him? Inform yourself.
What's on your mind...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-4-10 07:07:56 |Display all floors
Ted180 Post time: 2015-4-10 06:06
Very interesting JFenix. Yes. The politicians in each country seem to get elected only when they a ...

The humanitarian lip service that politicians give is really a reflection on the society they represent.  I believe that in the US, generally speaking, the american people really do want to help others.  Its easy to pull on our heart-strings and politicians will use this to gain support of the people.  I think in part, there is some guilt that we all kind of share for having it so good.  We're bombarded with images of starving children and pleas for donations to charities.  And privately, americans are pretty generous.  We would like everyone to live as well as we do.  Generally speaking of course....

But its a pipe dream to believe in the US as a savior for anyone.  They will look out for their interests first and foremost and just spin the story to make nice with the populace.  Think of the cold war and the propaganda with that.  It justified all of the arms race and proxy wars because communism was 'evil'.  We were made to feel pity for everyone living behind the 'iron' curtain.

I think since 9/11, the idealism we once saw in the Reagan 'Tear down that wall Mr. Gorbachev' era, has diminished considerably.   Politicians have been playing on people's fears rather than their sympathies.  I was astonished how well received Guantanamo Bay and the accounts of torture.  These are the kinds of things we used to condemn about other countries.  *sigh*

So I can really understand how people can feel let down.  I've felt that way too.  The actions taken over the last decade or so are betrayals of american values.  And they have gotten away with it.  Crazy.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Medal of honor July's Best Writer 2012 June's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2015-4-10 10:10:26 |Display all floors
skater7 Post time: 2015-4-10 02:53
if the media is about deception, then i guess i cant have any respect for anyone who works for the ...

The media plays an important role in good government.
They are the "watch dog" of the people.
It is what the "powers that be" fear the most.
That is why they control most of the main stream media today.
The more it is exposed.....
the more America has a chance to overcome them.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.