Views: 714|Replies: 3

Now and then: Changing funeral trends[6]- Chinadaily.com.cn [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-4-5 21:46:17 |Display all floors
Confronting outdated perceptions

Despite new trends there are still some who believe a decent and expensive cemetery is a necessity. Otherwise, they would probably be regarded as unfilial.

A woman has had to move three times in the past six years to avoid neighbors' harsh words because she agreed to her parents’ bodies being used for organ donations, even though her parents’ had willed it.

Re ...

--------Click here for more information--------

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-4-5 21:46:18 |Display all floors
i can't agree more! the old traditonal way of commemerate the ancestors should be in a eco-friendly way and besides burning the paper money and incense will have some bad influence on the environment and even cause some danger.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-4-15 15:49:52 |Display all floors
This piece of news show us some changes of the funeral trends.First one is to throw the ashes into the sea.Next is to turn ashes into diamonds.Besides,the offerings are also changing with the tendency of the world.The offerings become more and more modern,just as the article shows the offerings are a set of paper models of Apple’s products.However,conflicts between new customs and old customs still exist.For example,Zhou Wenting had several qurrals with her neighbors and relatives.
As far as I´m concerned,I can accept these changes with ease because it can protect our homeland and save land for our later generations .To show respect to our ancestors is important,so is protection of the world.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-4-4 17:40:27 |Display all floors
Dear Sir,

As I was surfing for answers I came across your site "NOW AND THEN: CHANGING FUNERAL TRENDS". However I did not get a complete answer to my thoughts from your article. Please allow me to pose you a case study.

My late father Soon Boon Sooi, born in 20 May 1919, died in 8 August 1988 (8888). He was then cremated and interned in a columbarium now for almost 28 years, all in the Toaist rituals. I have been arranging and attending the yearly Qing Ming rituals. My father, with two wives, had 4 sons and 4 daughters.  The wives and two sons died, while my elder brother and I are the remaining sons bearing his surname. Our sisters may or may not, but I am told they should not attend our SOON Family Qing Mings, but nonetheless do so on a number of occasions.

My elder brother is 67 years old and seldom attends Qing Ming. I am 65 years old. My brother and I are not Taotist or Budhist, he is Muslim and I a Christian, nevertheless we do observe the Chinese filial piety needs if and when necessary and required to do so. We helped arranged the funerals for my father's wives and sons after  he was gone.

Our children (the next generation) do not attend Qing Ming activities, unless specifically told to do so, that is not the norm. They are of various religions as well.

Since no one else shall follow through (I have followed through these filial needs) for 28 years, after I am gone or unable anymore to do so, I would like to remove my father's ashes and bones from his niche in the columbarium to then send him off for good in a sea burial. This shall be done properly, with family presence and in accordance to the Budhist way (as most Toaist do not cremate nor provide for sea burial). Otherwise he shall remain interned with no one attending to the filial needs, perhaps forever. This seems unfair to my father.

1. Please advise your views.
2. Please advise rites and rituals to complete this exercise.
3. As we were the sons that arranged his funeral needs then, we should be the ones to set him free, but what are the repercussions for immediate and future generations if anything goes wrong in our decision and moving forward.

Thank You.

Best Regards

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.