Views: 2792|Replies: 4

how to translate it ? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-7-28 16:48:15 |Display all floors
"Overplanning a city will kill it, but so will trying to make it a steel town, a car town or an electronics town,'' said Richard Florida, an expert in urban development at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh. "What you have to do is allow people to use their own energies and allow markets to create the new city in their own hurly-burly way, and that's usually a messy, unpredictable process.''

especially, i don't understand "but so will trying to make it .............." i think it could be a mistake, i cannot figure out the grammar here

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-7-29 10:28:10 |Display all floors

TRY

过度规划会扼杀一个城市,那将是一个充满钢筋,汽车和电子产品的城市。你们需要做的是发挥群众的力量同时允许市场用他们繁忙喧闹的方式建设城市,即使这是一个杂乱和不可预知的过程。

我觉得大体是这个意思,BUT SO WILL,应还有‘BE’,这是口语式说法,不必要深究语法。只要理解就成,我这人不求甚解,不求上进

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-7-30 17:50:50 |Display all floors

thanks. i got it, but i have a light difference withn you.

but so it will ......... i think it might be better if translated as “尽管这样会把城市建设成为一个。。。。。。“ i guess it is a disjuctive clause. what do you think?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-8-1 03:08:23 |Display all floors

... so will 也会

"Overplanning a city will kill it, but so will "Overplanning a city will kill it, but so will trying to make it a steel town, a car town or an electronics town,''

"...so will 也会/同样会" refers to "will kill it"

What he is saying is that:
On the one and, too much planning will kill a city;
on the other hand, trying to make it a steel town, a car town or an electronics town will kill it too.

So will...
e.g., Starvation will kill a person, so will overeating.

So can...
e.g., If she can do it, so can you

So do/did...
e.g., You went to Beida? So did I.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-8-10 15:40:26 |Display all floors

smart guy

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.