Views: 3662|Replies: 5

Best ways to care for elderly parents from overseas? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-2-17 21:05:46 |Display all floors
There are many ways of caring for elderly family members, but when not living in the same country, what would you do?

My in-laws are approaching an age where they will need some form of assistance to manage their every day life. They have a good pension and health insurance in China, but even so a recent trip to the hospital just cost them a good mount of money. I informed my wife that it may be time to invite them the USA, but in doing this she must become a US citizen. Another issue is the healthcare for elderly immigrants in the US. They would have to wait 5 years before getting into the Medicare system. However, Massachusetts has a low cost option that meets any budget.

Has anyone any experience in this matter?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-2-18 00:16:04 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-2-21 09:07:44 |Display all floors
best way is that you either go live with them or persuade them to live with you ..

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-2-23 07:18:00 |Display all floors
raton Post time: 2015-2-18 00:16
send them money 100 bucks goes a long way in China..

They have money, but more is better...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-2-23 07:27:13 |Display all floors
Dacarys Post time: 2015-2-21 09:07
best way is that you either go live with them or persuade them to live with you ..

We have persuaded them to come here, but they won't leave until the last minute. Their apartment complex has many friends and former co-workers. There is an ongoing debate on my wife becoming a US citizen and then petition to have her parents move here. Until she does it, they cannot stay here longer than 6 months. With the wife's green card, she will loose her immigration status if she stays longer than six months without returning. To bad it will be 9 years before my retirement, We would move there and travel back and forth...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-2-23 07:32:40 |Display all floors
I find it inexpensive to hire a part time caretaker to help them while waiting for the right time, until everyone makes up their minds that it is time.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.