Author: smuffy

Why are countries failing so badly at teaching English?   [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2015-2-21 10:33:03 |Display all floors
Complain as you will but the Chinese are head and shoulders above English speaking nations learning Chinese.
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-2-21 10:45:24 |Display all floors
Obama did it.

Arf, arf.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-2-21 10:54:59 |Display all floors
canadian45 Post time: 2015-2-21 10:07
I got my English improved from college, as there were few foreign teachers in the class.

I don't un ...

Teachers from US.A
LISTEN  TO  YOUR  HEART

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2015-2-21 11:27:49 |Display all floors
The best way for the Chinese to develop the English language skills would be to preferentially encourage Chinese (local and overseas) who are skilled in English to be teachers and mentors for others who are students of English. This way, they can help the learning process be more quicker, efficient. They can suggest more accurate words to be used in translation both ways and retain the accuracy of the output. They will also have more empathy and understand issues that block students in making progress. People with good knowledge of English AND Chinese will make the best teachers of English in China.

This is my opinion. What do you think?
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-2-21 11:34:53 |Display all floors
seneca (above) says it all.  I find that many teachers of English in this country who are Chinese have never been out of China to use English where it is spoken. They, themselves were taught the language in schools where poor quality American text books crammed only vocabulary and grammar into them. Little use of conversational English is made in classrooms. Even those teachers who wish to teach more oral English find they are prohibited from doing so because of the need for students to pass all the written tests. Class sizes limit the range of activities that could enable students to use the spoken language.
So "Why are countries failing........?"  The answer is simple; radically change the nature of the tests. Ensure teachers are given the training and the time to develop spoken English in the classroom. In China the solution is more complex and change can only really be demanded from the top.
(see my blog " Education; a house of cards".
English teacher and education adviser. China needs a teaching profession with less fear and more trust and honesty.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Medal

Post time 2015-2-21 15:11:27 |Display all floors
KIyer Post time: 2015-2-20 19:27
The best way for the Chinese to develop the English language skills would be to preferentially encou ...

You are correct my friend.
From the looks of this forum most of those who claim to be from English speaking countries look down on the Chinese.
Who can learn from a bunch of condescending dickheads from the west?
If capitalism promotes innovation and creativity then why aren't scientists and artists the richest people in a capitalist nation?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-2-21 15:44:57 |Display all floors
foreignchinese Post time: 2015-2-21 09:18
The ideal place to brush up your English is from the daily newspapers. It's cheap and effective. It' ...

Just sign in China daily and take in true English expressions,make progress each day!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.