Author: smuffy

Why are countries failing so badly at teaching English?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-3-4 04:21:51 |Display all floors
Newtown Post time: 2015-2-21 21:39
"good good study day day up"

I always loved that saying, even the Chinese laugh about it
I'm a little bit wrong and your a little bit right.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-5 09:41:54 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2015-3-2 22:06
I did not place those full stops in the WRONG place. I only comment on the incorrect or if not i ...

"I hope you know now what a full stop is!"   It's a period of course.
Proud supporter of Blessing Hands Charity.  https://sites.google.com/a/blessing-hands.org/blessing-hands/

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-5 10:21:40 |Display all floors
BlondeAmber Post time: 2015-2-17 21:05
Many of the qualified foreign teachers who are in China to teach English end up having to be no more ...

Haha your experiences are similar to most foreign teachers.

We now refer to foreign teachers in our circle of friends as "paid clowns" as the "best" teachers are the ones who act like clowns in class, jumping up and down, singing songs and playing games, not the teachers with any actual knowledge of the language
You know that every time I try to go
Where I really want to be
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-5 10:24:40 |Display all floors
Ronny Post time: 2015-3-4 04:15
Well said, my students often complain about those very things in regard to other teachers (thankfu ...

Interesting you rmention times tables.

China is exporting their math learning curriculum now to Britain. Why? Because math is rote learning something the Chinese excel at.

Like you say though, Language education is not rte learning, that gets you nowhere.
So often when communicating with Chinese they will use the book learned how are you, I am fine thank you. You say, "hey what's up?" and they look at you like you are speaking swahili.
You know that every time I try to go
Where I really want to be
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-5 12:06:24 |Display all floors
seanboyce88 Post time: 2015-3-5 12:24
Interesting you rmention times tables.

China is exporting their math learning curriculum now to  ...

I do get them to practice after class the article paragraphs I give them in class, they each get individual attention too, They can follow me reading it, listening for intonation and expression Etc then try it themselves, I get them all to read it twice, the second time is a chance to improve after giving them advice. sometimes they just read it twice by themselves, they like to see if they can get it right, but they always read twice, that way they get the opportunity to improve immediately. I also listen to each and every word they read, and each part of every word. I find Chinese students love to know everything they do wrong, but they also like a little praise.
I  don't teach accent, accent is unimportant, I myself use as neutral an accent as I can. Though they tend to feel the standard British accent sounds more educated than the Australian or American ones, and I tend to agree, not taking any offense. I do however try to help those that want to have an American accent, I supply them a link which offers both American and British accent and pronunciation.
I'm a little bit wrong and your a little bit right.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-3-9 14:34:27 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2015-3-4 20:02
Are you proud of being so obtuse?It certainly seems so to me!

Do you Yanks know what your own  ...

"I was created from the English language."

Really?  You were just a random assemblage?  That must be seriously self deflating to your over inflated ego!

"Stop trying to proselytise the world to your parochial or provincial thinking!"

We are the dominant world power for the last 214+ years so you have to kowtow to us. Deal with it or grow a pair and do something about it. Otherwise except your failed place in history and try not to soil your diaper.
Proud supporter of Blessing Hands Charity.  https://sites.google.com/a/blessing-hands.org/blessing-hands/

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.