Views: 6152|Replies: 10

why we dont speak english just like native speakers? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2003-10-23 21:51:58 |Display all floors
why we dont speak english just like native speakers?
just because we chinese are all idiot?!
and something else?
welcome all discussing it!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-10-23 22:16:09 |Display all floors

Because it's almost impossible to learn a language to the proficiency of a native-speaker.  As you get older it gets a lot harder, children's minds are far better at learning languages.  This is Chomsky's field (yes, the left-wing polemicist, but that's just his hobby), cognitive linguistics development.  

Don't worry about it, language is there to communicate, if you can communicate effectively then that's great.  Forget about the nuances; the slang, the accent, etc -- it doesn't matter.  

I met a Professor of English the other day from one of China's top universities, he had superb English.  Was it up to native-speaker standard?  Very close, but not quite.

The same is true of any language.  But if you want to try, then it will certainly benefit you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2003-10-23 23:38:13 |Display all floors

IF ALL ELSE FAILS - BE AN IDIOT LIKE ME !!!!!

Dear David,
I was born in England (therefore native speaker)
I came to Houston, Texas 21 years ago.
My first time in Chinese restaurant in Chinatown was a magic occasion.
The menu was all in Chinese (no translation in those days), the waitress was Shenyang (could only ask "everthing okay, need another coke??), SO I stood up from the table, bent my body forward, stuck my hands in my armpits and nodded my head to and fro whilst saying "BAWK.....BAWK....BAWK" - guess what, 5 minutes later I got my plate of rice, vegatables and CHICKEN. When I got up to leave and pay at the register I was told by an ABC (American Born Chinese) that another customer (an old Chinese gentleman had paid my bill because he had so enjoyed the entertainment).
THE MORAL IS, do not be afraid of what you do not know, living in Houston I can now say hello, goodbye, how are you, thank you, Merry Christmas in about 9 different languages ALL spoken with an English accent but ALL very much appreciated by the recipients.
Take Care and Have a Nice Day
BRITINTEXAS

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-4-16 16:36:23 |Display all floors

Reply #1 davidhowjer's post

why the foreigner can't speak chinese as us?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-4-16 17:46:22 |Display all floors

Reply #4 alfaable's post

Da Shan can apparently. Isn't he a foreigner?
For the OP, concentrate on meaning and foreigners understanding of that. Pronounciation is important too but I think meaning is what should be focussed on.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-4-17 14:37:02 |Display all floors
because we don't necessarily have to
爱情什么都象,就是不象爱情...Love is a Fallacy

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2009-4-17 16:48:33 |Display all floors
Originally posted by exportedkiwi at 2009-4-16 17:46
Da Shan can apparently. Isn't he a foreigner?
For the OP, concentrate on meaning and foreigners understanding of that. Pronounciation is important too but I think meaning is what should be focusse ...

Da Shan has fluent oral chinese skill.

[ Last edited by allenmiao at 2009-4-17 04:49 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.