Author: bfsuleo

Can Better Public Toilets Save China's Tourism Industry?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-2-5 23:39:44 |Display all floors
SDIvester Post time: 2015-2-5 20:50
P.S.
You might as well add, telling tourist to bring their own toilet paper, due to the lack of!! ...

Always do, even in Australia, prefer my own
I'm a little bit wrong and your a little bit right.
Everyone is entitled to my opinion.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-2-5 23:48:27 |Display all floors
SDIvester Post time: 2015-2-5 20:46
The numbers came from a link that described western toilets, but I see your in to much a hurry to  ...

The remark about catching up to the rest of the world was just about that, and America should change.
As for the measurements, the volume of water you stated was wrong.
Western toilets do not use 5 Gallons per flush, not even the smaller American gallons, as for how much they hold in the cistern it varies, modern toilets in the west use far less now, but Chinese western styles use even less per flush
Your gallon to liters measurement is an American Gallon which is fare enough.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-2-5 23:50:20 |Display all floors
billymillennium Post time: 2015-2-5 22:00
I didn't like the Chinese toilets. I hated sitting on the floor getting the back of my legs really d ...

You not supposed to do that. Sitting on the floor? OMG, didn't anyone explain it to you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-2-6 00:00:16 |Display all floors
SDIvester Post time: 2015-2-5 20:44
The numbers came from a link that described western toilets, but I see your in to much a hurry to  ...

Ok, to be fare I looked at your link, you quoted the water usage for older pre 1980 toilets, no wonder the volume is so high. Did you do that to make the numbers suit what you wanted? you had to go a fair way down the page to find them
Western toilets in China are modern, very modern. there might be a couple of antiquated ones left but I have never seen one, even in the older hotels.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-2-6 02:03:27 |Display all floors
Toilets could be good if there would someone to take care of them properly and they would be built well. The person cleaning the toilet should use hot water, cleaning chemicals and keep the floor dry. Now a very common sight in China is an old woman "cleaning" the floor with dirty and old equipment and cold water. The floor is always wet for excess use of water and never dried.

In the big cities it is easy to avoid the toilet problem by using 5 star hotel toilets. In Shanghai I can recommend the Peninsula hotel next to the white monument at the Bund. Nice clean toilets and even real towels to dry your hands.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-2-6 06:03:05 |Display all floors
Ronny Post time: 2015-2-5 23:48
The remark about catching up to the rest of the world was just about that, and America should chan ...

5 GAL / FLUSH WAS PRE 1960... Then came 3.5 gal ...Current law prohibits new installations above 1.6 gal, (6L)...  Grey water toilets that reuse shower water saves more water, as does composting toilets.

Conservation of natural resources, such as water, in a land of 1.3 billion and counting, a manufacturing,(including farming), society that requires water, and millions of tourists that could care less about water usage, will require many changes to meet the demands...

America does use the metric standard, however, there are still those alive that would get lost without the old way. Therefore, we use both means of measurements.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-2-6 06:23:18 |Display all floors
And if China wants to have proper toilets, the officials should go to Japan and learn from the masters.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.