Author: bfsuleo

Does a tax on junk food make sense?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-1-14 08:50:49 |Display all floors
SDIvester Post time: 2015-1-14 07:35
If the food is knowingly unhealthy, why are they allowed to sell it? Maybe the Government should ste ...

Wise words!

In the UK during the war the government introduced rationing on sugar, butter, meat, etc..... and the population became leaner and healthier. I cannot see why with modern technology governments still allow "unhealthy" options on the table.

If the obesity trend continues, qualifying for a job with the police or the army will be a thing of the past. Responsible parents do not allow their children to have anything they want, and if the public cannot control their own impulses the the state has to do something about it.
The world needs more idiots like me, all the others think they are clever.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-14 09:58:36 |Display all floors
A lot of people talk about how it would be hard to define junk food, but that's ridiculous. By monitoring the levels of added sugar, fat, oil, msg and salt added to the product they could determine pretty easily which foods are junk food.
But rather than tax these foods, I think it would be better to put limits on the amount of added sugar and salt etc companies can put in foods. Take a bottle of processed orange juice at the supermarket for example, it has similar levels of added sugar to a bottle of cola. and all those packed sausages, orion pies etc have ridiculous levels of added salt or sugar.
Further, why not reduce tax on fresh fruit and vegetables and any any other healthy items to encourage people to eat healthier.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-14 14:08:36 |Display all floors
Yes,I agree with it.But it is not workable.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-14 14:31:16 |Display all floors
Sure it makes cents. For the taxman.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-14 14:32:25 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2015-1-13 14:47
...true. Ice-cream for example makes fat without even feeding people properly.

With that logic, get rid of cars. People can still get from point A to point B.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-14 22:05:10 |Display all floors
do u mean all the restaurants in China need to pay tax ? or should we just charge from the original source? we may should charge who grow the veg which covered by chemicals and raised the overdosed hormone pigs/chicken/cow/sheep etc.... or we maybe should charge who polluted the land where were supposed to prepared to grow vegetables ? or raising fish ?

make them 'pay' is a good thought but 'who' to pay is a question

or it could be just a thought, nobody come to be in charge anyways

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-14 22:53:10 |Display all floors
What if tax breaks were given to the food producers that make healthy choices? Still, we will never rid ourselves of those who prefer to over indulge and become couch potatoes. Maybe the insurance companies that are overeager to increase our premiums for the slightest infraction will jump on this band wagon and strike financial pain to those who prefer a bad lifestyle. They are doing this in regards to smokers, why not obesity? I don't know about other countries, but in the USA fat people are looked at as having a disease, not a lifestyle problem. I believe the obesity problem is related to more that one issue, but in combination we have a larger problem...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.