Views: 6358|Replies: 43

Why the price of oil just keeps tumbling?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-1-6 10:38:22 |Display all floors
Why the price of oil just keeps tumbling?  Oversupply?  Conspiracy theory from Saudi? New suppliers?FT reports

Oil prices are at new five year lows and analysts worry there are few hopeful signs suggesting a rebound.

Since their mid-June high, prices of Brent crude and West Texas Intermediate have fallen about 54 per cent each.

A supply glut coupled with soft demand are the main reasons for the decline. A lack of oil production cuts from Opec, the oil cartel which accounts for 40 per cent of global oil supply, has exacerbated the slide. Many analysts see these trends continuing.

First, new supply is entering a market already flush with oil. Exports from Russia and Iraq have picked up and new production is also expected to pick up at a number of fields in West Africa, Latin America, particularly Brazil.

Some analysts expect the arrival of several hundred thousand barrels a day of Canadian sour crude on the US Gulf Coast and a rise in exports from the Kurdistan Regional Government.

And in that vein, there is potential for supply from Iran. From Adam Longson at Morgan Stanley:

According to the AP, Iran and the US have tentatively agreed on a formula for Tehran to ship to Russia much of the disconcerting atomic material, which could open the door to a lifting of oil sanctions.

...If Iran were to see sanctions lifted, we believe exports could rise ~500 kilobarrels per day in a matter of months, with additional crude potentially coming out of storage.

Second, Saudi Arabia shows no signs of conceding and a cut seems unlikely ahead of the next Opec meeting scheduled for June. "The kingdom has stated that production will not be cut even if non-OPEC producers curtail production or oil falls to $20 per barrel," said Longson.

That Brent crude is in contango — a term which refers to prices for future delivery that exceed spot prices — and opportunities are opening up for storage carry trades is also worrisome, because it is indicative of an oversupplied market.

Evan Lucas at IG explains the logic behind the oversupply:

Major oil-exporting nations such as Russia, Iraq, Saudi Arabia and Kuwait are all jostling for a share of a stagnating oil market to offset the plummeting oil price.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-6 12:27:07 |Display all floors
I think you should  know why.........

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-6 16:10:04 |Display all floors
$20 oil

It will destroy the Russian Iran Axis.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-22 15:28:31 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-23 01:27:18 |Display all floors
Travel to Yellowstone National Park using cheap gas.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-23 01:53:17 |Display all floors
Put together the US dollar index (the value of US dollar against other currencies) and price of oil. They go hand in hand. The other main reason for the low oil price is Saudi Arabia, the only country in the world who really can move the supply if they want. It is not in Saudi interest to lose market share, let US oil sand companies get their production flowing and since their marginal cost to pump oil is so low (20 dollars, against Russian 50 dollars) why should they care, they do just fine.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2016-2-4 23:48:57 |Display all floors
mixamixa Post time: 2015-1-23 01:53
Put together the US dollar index (the value of US dollar against other currencies) and price of oil. ...

The House of Saud wants to lower the price of oil to drive the U.S. oil shale producers out of business.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.