Author: celinawang

How can I make friends with foreigners?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-1-2 08:45:04 |Display all floors
SDIvester Post time: 2015-1-1 09:54
Find someone that you have something in common with, and that they are aware of you. Start with smal ...

This is the best advice!
My problem is simple: I just know better than everyone-else!

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-1-2 09:50:15 |Display all floors
Celina,

One thing no one has dealt with is the fact that you are shy and timid and I imagine this is going to be your biggest hurdle.

It's all well and good for the rest of us to say go up to someone and start a conversation, keep it light and so on, but none of us have any understanding of how difficult that can be for someone like you.  I can only imagine it's like stage fright but worse and different.  

Because you are shy and timid I would suggest the online methods to meet us laowai, either QQ, Wexin or via email (expat site) to start and until your confidence grows and then you can move on to strangers in shopping malls etc.  If you have laowai at your university and feel up to it strike up a conversation, nothing serious just talk light subjects such as the weather, what are their views on going to a Chinese university etc.

Good luck!
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-2 10:04:01 |Display all floors
Easy, just bash China. You'll be a big hit with foreign devils.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-2 10:39:22 |Display all floors
I don't think we know what city you live in (or near) and that might affect how many foreigners you see around that you could engage with in some way. It depends in what you are looking for in a foreign friend. If just english practice, distance is no object by social media, but if a foreign friend in your life to have coffee with, location comes into it!
To read more about me: http://capaworld.capa.org/2014/01/17/capa-resident-director-china-programs-interview-colin-speakman/.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-2 11:08:44 |Display all floors
Ted180 Post time: 2015-1-2 08:45
This is the best advice!

For some people it may be a good idea, others may not like it...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-2 19:59:31 |Display all floors
for a start, maybe stop calling them foreigners....when you call someone a foreigner, you subconsciously exclude them, unintentionally....you should ask, how do i make friends with the americans, or the germans, etc....

making friends is the same no matter their nationality...if people get along with you, they get along with you...if they don't, then they don't...there's nothing special that you have to do, but just be yourself...when people click, they just do, you know, there's no recipe.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-2 21:22:30 |Display all floors
dusty1 Post time: 2015-1-1 20:23
She wants to learn English

So what was it that convinced you that she doesn't understand English?
(mostly harmless)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.