Author: celinawang

How can I make friends with foreigners?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2015-1-1 22:54:35 |Display all floors
Find someone that you have something in common with, and that they are aware of you. Start with small conversation, without asking for personal information. Build on this relationship, and possibly, you will be introduced to others as time goes on.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2015-1-2 00:23:53 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Ratfink at 2015-1-2 00:26

Hi,  Ceclina,

Firstly you need to understand that western and Chinese versions of friendship are very different.  Chinese people tend to call someone they have met for a few minutes or hours a friend. In the west the term friend is used to mean someone you know very well.  In the west someone you know for a short time is an acquaintance which is not the same as a friend.  Most westerners also have different levels of friends, from those they don't know very well to their closest friends whom are those that know them best and for a very long time.

If you simply want to chat with foreigners to practice your English I'd suggest either using following parchers advice on using expat websites  or use the QQ search facility and start with a message like, Hello, I am looking for chats to improve my English. A word of caution, there are many bad laowai on QQ including a lot of African scammers and segui from all over the place.

If you don't mind chatting with an older laowai then I am happy to chat with you on QQ or Wexin.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2015-1-2 01:41:21 |Display all floors
Bandito Post time: 2015-1-1 20:51
why qq? Starbucks is facilitating these things! Un cafe con leche para mi, un zumo de naranja para ...

Strong friend? I'm not Popeye

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-2 03:17:31 |Display all floors
SDIvester Post time: 2015-1-1 18:54
Find someone that you have something in common with, and that they are aware of you. Start with smal ...

therein lies the rub......
No, I live above Sunset Plaza, it's a little house I rent and it's a little rundown but has a beautiful view, what about you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-2 03:20:18 |Display all floors
1584austin Post time: 2015-1-1 21:41
Strong friend? I'm not Popeye

Popeye? How come we are treated to babe's avatar
No, I live above Sunset Plaza, it's a little house I rent and it's a little rundown but has a beautiful view, what about you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-2 03:20:32 |Display all floors
Bandito Post time: 2015-1-2 03:17
therein lies the rub......

They have to start somewhere...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2015-1-2 03:41:49 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Bandito at 2015-1-1 23:47
SDIvester Post time: 2015-1-1 23:20
They have to start somewhere...

True.....

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.