Views: 2509|Replies: 16

Australia, a deserted land for the auto industry [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-12-3 15:09:01 |Display all floors
Toyota will pull out of the country in 2017 due to the high Aussie wage costs and the strong currency.

FT reports
--------

The Japanese carmaker has disclosed more details about its withdrawal from Australia, a move that will end more than half a century of production there.

In February Toyota confirmed it was pulling out of the country due to high Aussie wage costs and the strong currency. The exit followed similar announcements from Ford and General Motors, and generated numerous headlines amid a debate about Australia's future in manufacturing.

At the time Toyota released few details, saying it would end vehicle and engine production in Australia by the end of 2017.

The company and its Australian subsidiary expanded upon the news today, saying they are consolidating their business activities in Melbourne and closing offices in Sydney.

Its Altona Plant, which will stop producing vehicles in 2017, will be converted into training and product development facilities.
Dave Buttner, president of Toyota in Australia, said:

We understand that it is a difficult time for many of our employees and we are committed to supporting them during the transition period. These changes will provide us with the best opportunity to have a strong and sustainable base for the next fifty years and beyond.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-12-3 15:16:40 |Display all floors
Why should the Australian taxpayer support unprofitable companies that are not Australian ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-3 15:19:50 |Display all floors
dusty1 Post time: 2014-12-3 15:16
Why should the Australian taxpayer support unprofitable companies that are not Australian ?

The close-up of auto works means pressure on employment. Who support whom?

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-12-3 15:27:29 |Display all floors
volkswagen360 Post time: 2014-12-3 15:19
The close-up of auto works means pressure on employment. Who support whom?

This was telegraph many years out that the motor industry was on life support, they knew this was coming. My sister and her husband work for a Ford they will not have a job after 2016 when ford moves the factory to India, as management they have been offered jobs with the factory in India but they refused.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-3 15:39:21 |Display all floors
This post was edited by volkswagen360 at 2014-12-3 15:42

wish them a goodluck. this is a phototype for the dilemma of the aussie manufacturing sector. perhaps more closer connection with china is a solution.
my brother had worked in sydney for a domestic chemical company for 4 years now dwelts in HK

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-3 15:51:31 |Display all floors
You are right VW.

Sad to see manufacturers leave Australia

This is called "Dutch disease" - high commodity price causes high dollar, which makes manufactured exports less profitable

Commodity prices are now falling, like iron and oil. This should help the AUD fall (versus the USD)

Australian unions made sure Australia cannot compete with Asia on price. Japan did well and now the Free Trade Agreement with China means hopefully mutual prosperity for all
(beast ex machina)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-12-3 17:07:11 |Display all floors
lebeast Post time: 2014-12-3 15:51
You are right VW.

Sad to see manufacturers leave Australia

An FDA with China does not help Aussie manufacturers. Rather it condemns them.....Toyota and others know it.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.