Views: 1710|Replies: 5

Blue Eggs, Herbs..... [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-11-10 20:41:28 |Display all floors
Just a "silly" question (probably) from someone relatively new here and working/living in a small town. Have been marketing pretty well despite language barrier, and buying brown eggs. I often see pale blue eggs for sale. Please - are these from ducks or geese, or a different breed of hen?
I cannot find fresh herbs at all. Apart from coriander which I loathe!
Is parsley not popular in China? Nor sage, thyme or rosemary?
Of course, if I travel into the nearest main city (2 buses, 2 trains: about 80 minutes if lucky with timetables) and source a "western-style" food shop I can probably get what I want (dried) - at a price!
The leeks here (along with so many other vegetables) are awesome. Cheap, and taste like they used to do when I was a child - before mass production and genetic tinkering. Am just hanging out to make a parsley sauce for them.

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2014-11-10 21:40:11 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2014-11-10 14:43

yes, on the average "wet market" there are very few herbs, parsley is not popular (especially in southern China)

green (blue/green) are the duck eggs

a bit better is with the dried herbs in the local supermarket, but ussually there are "mixes" (italian herbs, etc.) not the particular types of herbs sold separately
try the Taobao to get the preserved spices You need, or if You will stay a bit longer - buy some seeds, and grow whatever You like in Your own kitchen

I lived in a small city 2h ride from Guangzhou, and while I love cooking - I had some problems to make dishes "western style" :) so I bought some spices in HongKong, bread I baked at home (dried yeast are available - I used "Angel" brand, so the flour), no problems with the butter and olive oil.

If You like - try some of myrecipes:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-10 21:53:18 |Display all floors
WHERE are you   Laine
some day Jiangsu will rule China

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-10 21:58:47 |Display all floors
Thanks White Bear. I'd like to try the duck eggs, haven't had them since UK years ago. I love cooking also. Don't do much "western" style as I have no oven. Just hotplate, slo-cooker and a microwave. I don't cook in the microwave though. Wouldn't know how! I am more used to Aga or gas oven. Would love to buy seeds. Just have to figure out where to get them! I get lots of veg, also chicken and pork. And then I go to the supermarket shelves and select packets. Have no idea what they contain as all in Chinese but open them up, have a taste and if okay I shove in the wok!
Will now click on your recipe link.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-10 22:00:54 |Display all floors
WHERE are you havent oven?
some day Jiangsu will rule China

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-11-10 22:24:50 |Display all floors
In teacher accommodation on campus. Otherwise very comfortable. 3 rooms plus ensuite. Reverse aircon etc.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.