Author: english-learner

16 Things in Chinese Society that Foreigners Envy   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-10-22 21:40:27 |Display all floors
Sorry
1: there is very little law and order in china. ok, there are no guns, how about the lack of traffic laws? cars drive on the pavements run red lights...
2:
a rumor that if you are caught with drugs in China you are immediately shot
do your homework first please, before posting. this is clearly not the law
3: fair enough
4: can download videos anywhere. often difficult in china as all the good sites are blocked
5: things are cheaper in china. unfortunately the quality reflects that
6, 7: i wouldnt say these are major points for being envious
8: yes, you have a point.
9: many cities are doing away with the count down as a lot of cars were speeding up to get through before it changed, often resulting in them running the red light, and causing accidents. this was definitely the case here in Zhengzhou
10: its not exactly something my friends or I feel envious about
11: the trains are amazing. the train stations are a waste of money and only reflect soviet era design.
12: cities are safer, in regards to unsavory types on the streets. however, the police dont come out at night so the roads, and crossing are far more dangerous.
13: your example is only due to sars. if for example you had a heart attack, you would need someone to pay the ambulance before they would take you. then pay the hospital before a doctor would see you
14: "In England, the weekends are boring, shops close early and the food is unpalatable." have you ever been? if your friends think the weekends are boring then they must be boring people. have you tried the food? or have you just tried fish and chips and made your assumption on 1 dish, or what a few other chinese people have said?
15:
The rich have good lawyers that help them cover up their crimes. It just shows that money is the most important force in America and the role of capitalism in the justice system.
and this doesnt happen in china? you know, with government officials covering their kids tracks?
16: i have been in china 9 years now, and I have never once come across good customer service outside of a hotel. if you complain here, it only falls on deaf ears.

your reasons are all over the place. there is no real substance for foreigners to be envious of these. a lot of your arguments are not applicable to a lot of countries.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-23 01:03:11 |Display all floors
16 ridiculous statements is more like it.Where can you breath in China without coughing.Clean cities?where did you come up with this bullshit

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-23 01:19:27 |Display all floors
overall eat, shop (not for designer brands) & hotel (5 stars or even higher) in china still is pretty inexpensive as comparin to most major international cities...like some folks sez, isnt china supposed to be communist   
a man who uses his hands is a laborer. one who uses his hands and his mind is a craftsman. but he who uses his hands, his mind, and his heart, is an artist...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-23 01:31:49 |Display all floors
I have an English friend that says over and over again how he thinks Chinese food is the best cuisine in the world. When I go to lunch with my German friend or my English friend they both know the phonetic writing for a few dishes and can order easily at an a la carte restaurant.

Chinese food abroad is great, why?  because  the food is adjusted with local seasonings to satisfy local customer´s taste.

Local Chineses who goes abroad for tourist or short trips can find the Chinese food different and not likeable as in their motherland. A chinese friend told me when he went to LA, he tried a Chinese restaurant and he felt a bit disappointed, after a short explanation from his friend there, he understood the  reasons.

For foreign visitors as my customers to China, most of them dislike the Chinese food for two reasons. First, its the trust of the meat used in the food and second, most food for them are oily, greasy, not healthy in their opinion, Each visit for a week or 10 days, we tried once or twice Chinese food. There are very few who is not problem the Chinese food.
For me, oily food kills my stomach, so I avoid it but I eat when i visit my Chinese wife´s relatives without problem.

I believe your English friend love the Chinese food but its his opinion. I shared mine and of my friends.

NOTHING TO ENVY HERE.

They really enjoy the ease of this. All my foreign friends also like knock off and cheap products. They use Taobao to buy cheap goods or even travel to Guangdong to buy manufactured goods like bags, shoes, and even food to bring home as a gift.

Everybody loves cheap products or with discount but I found weird foreigners travel from abroad  to  Guangdong, China to buy cheap products knowing the bad quality of Chinese products if they are cheap, neither to buy food. No senses.

NOTHING TO ENVY HERE.

Latin Americans have told me they appreciate that you can go to a hospital without an appointment and see a doctor within a short period of time. They like that if you are sick you can go directly to the hospital to get the medicine you need. There are many other examples of this: China has many things that foreigners should be envious about!

As a Latin American person who use to recieve many Latin American clients in the past years, let me tell you something.  Our worse experience in China were in the banks and the hospitals, the delays to be attended, the bad treatment, the quantity of people who jumps the line to be attended was chaotic. What its worse in the hospital, the doctors and nurses don´t care who arrived first, so in the doctor´s office is a competition with the other patients to reach the paid receipt to be attended first, so if you are a man and stronger and talk louder you will be first to be checked by the doctor. When the doctor attend a patient, there is not privacy, all the rest of patients will know your problem.

Since those bad experiences I visit a private hospital when its needed, its more expensive but the service is better. Regular Chinese people can not afford those private hospitals.

NOTHING TO ENVY HERE.

Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-23 01:44:14 |Display all floors
messi30 Post time: 2014-10-22 12:31
Chinese food abroad is great, why?  because  the food is adjusted with local seasonings to satisfy ...

you mean to tell me if i say i have contracted the ebola disease the entire waitin line would dissappear just like that or maybe not even the nurse/doctor come to see me (ok then)  
a man who uses his hands is a laborer. one who uses his hands and his mind is a craftsman. but he who uses his hands, his mind, and his heart, is an artist...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-23 01:48:17 |Display all floors
here's a trick (guarantee) to get a seat (bus or subway dont matter) during peak hours...just pretend you cough a lot with a handkerchief in your hand with some red dye (straphangers just not sure what you have dengue fever or ebola...pick your pick)  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-23 02:44:10 |Display all floors
youknowhat Post time: 2014-10-23 01:44
you mean to tell me if i say i have contracted the ebola disease the entire waitin line would diss ...

You will conquer that hospital. It wil be yours. Are you a Westener?
Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.