Author: voice_cd

Questions to ask English experts from Chinese learners (Round 24) [Copy link] 中文

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2014-10-23 14:53:44 |Display all floors
incarnationabc Post time: 2014-10-23 14:51
Thank you for your support to the indigenous people!

I only got 7 / 10

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-23 21:06:47 |Display all floors
This post was edited by incarnationabc at 2014-10-23 21:25

Q4: I've been watching situation comedy "Friends" lately. I notice that Ross Geller occasionally does a fist thing: making a fist with both hands and banging them together (palm edge to palm edge). What dose this gesture mean? Could you introduce some commonly used hand gestures in the US?

I don't know the hand guesture of Ross.

-"give me five" which means cheer each other up, or congratulate

- the middle finger = f**k you

- throw your index finger at someone = accuse someone of something (It's Uncle Sam's favorite. )

There is one spectacle grander than the sea, that is the sky; there is one spectacle grander than the sky, that is the interior of the soul.-Victor Hugo

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-23 21:17:04 |Display all floors
This post was edited by incarnationabc at 2014-10-23 21:17

Q1: What are the differences of protocol, treaty, deal and agreement? And under what circumstances should they be used respectively?

I think the definitions from my dictionary are clear:

Protocol- the first or original version of an agreement, especially a  treaty between countries, etc.; an extra part added to an agreement or  treaty

Treaty: a formal agreement between two or more countries

Deal : an agreement, especially in business, on particular conditions for buying or doing sth

Agreement: an arrangement, a promise or a contract made with sb

They need to go to their dictionary first, which is considered to the best teacher of almost everyone.

NB: I am not an English expert.

There is one spectacle grander than the sea, that is the sky; there is one spectacle grander than the sky, that is the interior of the soul.-Victor Hugo

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-24 07:45:59 |Display all floors
Q1. Protocol is a guideline for communication, deals are dirty whereas agreements are clean, and a treaty is usually a political compromise that sells out the backbone of any country, such as NAFTA.
Q2. Before compound words are compound, many go through a hyphenated phase.
Q3. A typical Victorian ordinary house is three floors above ground with a finished basement, three to four rooms per floor (a washroom on each floor is normal among the slight variations), however the finished attic (top floor) has the sloping ceiling of the A roof so the rooms compensate by increasing floor space... two rooms and many closets is a normal attic variation. Q5. What to eat at Hallowe'en, Thanksgiving and Christmas. The traditions started in wintry climates prior to electricity so are designed for harvesting and storing food in the cold house cellar and in fat in our bodies which we normally lose on schedule each spring starting in March. The idea is to carry few livestock through winter. So some prefer lamb to turkey for festivities. The usual festival table is filled with roasted meats, roasted and whipped vegetables, stewed fruits. Hallowe'en must and following festivals may have pumpkin pie. Apple pie is also usually served. Cranberry jelly is a must at Thanksgiving and Christmas and may appear at Hallowe'en. Mint jelly is served with lamb and some people like mint jelly on peas. Hallowe'en celebrates the day of the dead when all the souls of all the dead people walk around so to stay safe we covor the door with blood and put scary pumpkins in windows, whereas Thanksgiving celebrates the Pilgrims first harvest of food in North America and Christmas celebrates Jesus' birthday, allegedly.

Jennifer Han Zhenhao
https://www.persuasive-logic-free-english-lessons.com

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-24 09:05:36 |Display all floors
Q3: What do Victorian houses look like? I've seen the term "Victorian style" used in clothing, architecture and writing, so what exactly is "Victorian style"?

In the United Kingdom, and former British colonies a Victorian house generally means any house built during the reign of Queen Victoria (1837–1901). During the Industrial Revolution successive housing booms resulted in the building of many millions of Victorian houses which are now a defining feature of most British towns and cities.
Source: Wikipedia

(Please go search this article for details)

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2014-10-24 22:50:18 |Display all floors
incarnationabc Post time: 2014-10-23 21:06
Q4: I've been watching situation comedy "Friends" lately. I notice that Ross Geller occasionally doe ...

I always associated that with UP YOUR ......

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-10-26 02:10:28 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.