Views: 4163|Replies: 3

Meeting report (June 20, written by Hudson) [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-6-24 11:45:28 |Display all floors
June 20th (Father’s Day) gathering of CD English Club (Beijing) members started with a fit of handclaps at the exciting news that Hudson, one of the Club’s six volunteers, got a 3.4 kg newborn son just the day before. What a timing! Just cross fingers for the baby’s healthy growth and Hudson’s being a good father. ( Note: According to Ben, an Australian participant in the gathering, the Father’s Day on third Sunday in June is American, and the Australian Father’s Day is in early July. Terrific! Celebrate again then!)

Three topics were originally designed for members’ reference for their group discussion last Sunday. However, accidentally, only one got posted and known on the Chinadaily bulletin in the end, about China’s economic development pace over the past decade. It isn’t easy to talk about this economic issue even in Chinese, is it? The members from all walks of life expressed their views freely and seriously, confident, doubtful, optimistic, worried……There were reportedly even some sporadic arguments during the discussion, but no exchange of blows for sure.

Thanks to all of the passionate members as well as the kind-hearted supporters, who are always offering suggestions and encouragement, the Club goes well so far that every member really benefits from it and their improvement is obvious. Within the less-than-one-month period since the birth of the organization, some members have overcome their timidity and been able to open their mouths to chat in English with Chinese, Australian, South African, American, in short, whoever sit close to them; and some eloquent pals have become dominators of their group and guides to those in need of help. What’s more, all members have found out how to turn strangers into their friends and been happy to do so, as a result, some members exchange lots of emails, phone calls and messages out of the weekly two hour time. It is really time-taking to attain great English improvement so that the weekly two-hour-long practice is not enough, but what the Club can definitely contribute is that all members are sure to be remarkably inspired and enlightened on the weekly occasion, to learn useful stuff, to love friends, to live a fruitful life.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-24 13:18:59 |Display all floors

oh, dario

Reading your vivid report, I see in my mind's eye that the gathering and talking were so much fun and there appeared to be so much food for thought. And your writing style blends just well with the liveliness and sincereness which the gathering was made out to be. I really appreciate the ideas and the gusto with which you guys carried them out, having "strangers" talk with whoever you encountered in the club meet, see smiles and smile back, appreciate the interlocutors as who they really were and, sure enough, picke up what we left in the long road of English perfection. I have to say that you guys have done such great work and I'd like to thank all the people without whom the club would not be possible. Hopefully, my joining of the club on the sixth of the meet will add more fuel to the already flaming fire.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-24 13:46:57 |Display all floors

congradulation

Hi Hudson,

Congraduation for your new born baby! Hope you will take some pics for him and show in front of us.

Kara

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-30 10:43:20 |Display all floors

is there a such kind of club in Hangzhou?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.