Views: 2923|Replies: 13

What Changes Have You Noticed In CD? [Copy link] 中文

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2014-9-22 08:37:48 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2014-9-22 10:39

Have you noticed changes in CD?

It has been a bit over an year since I came across and joined this CD forum.
I was a bit nervous and had no idea how an English language forum in a Chinese website would be. I noticed that the most active members appeared to be mostly native English speakers, not all of whom were based in China. There were quite a few Chinese who seemed to be using this forum to develop their knowledge of and confidence in English, but the whole atmosphere appeared to be dominated by 'superior' English speakers.
I initially started blogging and received a few invitations to the threads. It took me a while to figure them out.

I remember being a bit stunned at the level of vitriol, partisanism, racism, insults that were tolerated in addition to the diversity and extremes of opinion on this forum. It was not what I was led to believe from media and society where I have lived. They all told me that media and opinions in China and it forums were tightly policed and controlled. I found it totally untrue.

While more needs to be done, during my time here, I have noticed the forum has undergone significant changes for the better. The following are some areas.

_ There is a greater emphasis on communicating ideas, thoughts and feelings than on spelling, grammar and rules of the various versions of English language. It is no longer heavily weighted in favour of those proficient in English or use it to their advantage.

_ More Chinese and non-native English speakers are becoming active and visible members of this forum.

_ There is greater attempt at civility, debate and focus on the issue. Even when it degenerates there is more refined language in personal attacks between members.

_ The more egregious comments, threats or insults elicit appropriate responses - from defence of the injured party, appropriate retorts to starving of attention from the other members. The moderators too pitch in with appropriate warning or even banning upon reporting.

I hope the members and management consolidate the gains made and maintain what has been gained. There is still more to be done to raise the quality of this CD forum and I hope the rate of progress continues!

What are your thoughts? What changes have you noticed in CD during your time here?

My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-22 14:12:28 |Display all floors
I join CD one month, just want learn English. so, yes I am chinese, English not my first language. I think explore, read, sometimes reply some interesting topic, maybe more days age I can write something read something. so one month is too short to feeling about change of CD.....

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2014-9-22 14:14:53 |Display all floors
L.J.六.九 Post time: 2014-9-22 16:12
I join CD one month, just want learn English. so, yes I am chinese, English not my first language. I ...

thanks for your response though. i hope you continue to enjoy and learn here. This is an excellent forum with high tolerance and a very diverse group of people. One can learn a lot here.
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-22 14:42:28 |Display all floors
What I want to know is, where are all the overseas Chinese?
There is progress whether you are going forward or backward; the thing is to move.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-22 14:43:38 |Display all floors
It didn't change much

Lately appeared more ghost than the past years.
There are several ghosts pretending to be foreigners (like you)
All of those foreigner pretenders start their comments praising China and stabbing the knife to their ¨own country¨.  mostly US and the West.

What make very silly this new creations of characteres (like you) in this forum is the new ghosts with usernames as numbers or usernames with letters mixed making a name with no meaning, Sure, they tried that this kind of usernames could be avoided to be easy recognized or to be pointed.

Anyway, this forum is a good place to debate , sadly there are a lot of liars with lower complex.

Other thing that is new in this forum is the creation of new threads where the ghost posters (they never make replies) are concentrated to post topics of  ¨beautiful¨ girls, women, in a sick way.  sick people, shameful people.

Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-22 14:48:36 |Display all floors
_ There is a greater emphasis on communicating ideas, thoughts and feelings than on spelling, grammar and rules of the various versions of English language. It is no longer heavily weighted in favour of those proficient in English or use it to their advantage.

_ More Chinese and non-native English speakers are becoming active and visible members of this forum.

_ There is greater attempt at civility, debate and focus on the issue. Even when it degenerates there is more refined language in personal attacks between members.

_ The more egregious comments, threats or insults elicit appropriate responses - from defence of the injured party, appropriate retorts to starving of attention from the other members. The moderators too pitch in with appropriate warning or even banning upon reporting.

What to say?

Is this a lie? or
Is this a joke?

You choose.

Denial, according the psychoanalysts, is one of the most primary mechanisms of defense. It consists in the attitude of denying or minimizing obvious facts of reality with which the individual can´t  cope or whose irresponsibility is unable to meet.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-9-22 14:48:57 |Display all floors

What to say?

Is this a lie? or
Is this a joke?

You choose.

And I agree.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.