Author: hedan011

Are China's "modern" cities really that modern? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-6-25 17:01:11 |Display all floors

It's not a car dealership....

It's the parking lot in front of Hangzhou Tower.

Lots of Audis, BMWs, Mercedes, late model Hondas and Toyotas, etc.
20040625170111a0b6.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-25 21:15:55 |Display all floors

Hangzhou Tower

I thought I had put this up before....

Hangzhou Tower is home to one of Hangzhou's premier shopping centers, as evidenced by the types of cars found in the parking lot.
20040625211554861f.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-12 10:23:34 |Display all floors
modern city should be a rich city,a civilized city,a friendly city,a beautiful city!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-13 12:31:35 |Display all floors

You have to define "modern" first to even use it as a goal.

I consider the chicken on the bus a very colorful and thoughtful way of getting the bird from point "A" to point "B". So in my mind, the lady is moving into the modern world along with her chicken.......How many chickens get to ride on a bus??? So that is progress.

I doubt that many of the readers would consider my lifestyle modern with the dirt road in front of my house. But here I am discussing topics with people on the opposite side of the earth. And, I have three computers I can do it with.

I would not attempt to define my own idea of "modern" because it would interfere with those things in my life I wish not to change.

I noticed that everyone who has responded considered many things to not be modern in what is perceived to be modern. Rats, etc.......

Maybe there is common ground between us humans who must progress and the natural world which must not progress in the same way we do. To find this common ground would be to move into a more acceptable modern future.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-13 13:27:21 |Display all floors

Reply #10 feeling,just a feeling

city ,chick
counry,also lucky
no matter what it looks like,it has its own reason!
feeling?complain?
right,touch it with your  own heart!
but,simply put,communication !
city,coutry,can you imagine the country one day become a town ,then a city,then a capital?
haha !
exsistence has its reason!   jack..:)Sample Text

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-26 02:43:23 |Display all floors
No, no, no. China is not modern. There are still trees and animals around, not everything is steel and concrete.

In my country, we are very modern. We do the fishing on a safe distance from civilization. Then we immediately deep freeze that fish, transport it to China, where unmodern people prepare the fish _by hand_ (can you imagine!). Finally, it is packed and sent back to the originating country.

Taking this route of 40000 kilometers across the globe in order to distance yourself from nature must be what is modern... not that the fish becomes cheaper or better, and there is really no reason for this strange manouever. But it sure is modern!
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-26 02:46:14 |Display all floors
Hell, in the West almost everyone has a stinking dog or cat in their _house_. Some have parrots and other birds, or snakes, turtles, fish and whatever it might be.

Chicken? What's so strange with a chicken? Everyone eats chicken, right?
瑞典人,活着为中国娃娃而死。汉学家、工程师、摄影师、网页设计师等等。爱好:政治、历史、科技、文化等。王菲迷。自由主义者。

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.