Author: admin

Singapore is the future of China in urban order[1]- Chinadaily.com.cn [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-8-30 12:10:07 |Display all floors
No system is perfect and it need to be fine tune to suit its environment.

Longzhou is right in that there is no comparison in that it is easier to manage a small Singapore compared to a massively diverse China.

However difficult doesn't mean you need to stop learning from around the world. Similar steps have been taken with the Singapore style industrial park in Suzhou, Singapore ERP car control scheme in Shanghai etc. Yes, car cost is high but you need to balance between traffic jam with cheap cars versus smooth traffic with expensive cars.

Edward is partly right about some prejudice in Singapore about China but I think you need to understand the reason why. It is the same type of prejudice that you also see in Shanghai and Beijing towards migrant workers. It's a prejudice of cultural differences. It exists in all cities; even in Chinese cities towards their rural migrants.

Singapore is small and therefore it relies on brainpower just like Israel and Switzerland. All forms of brainpower from around the world is welcome. China should not go back to the Manchu mentality of thinking only Chinese ideas are the best and China should not rely on others. There is a big difference between reliance and learning from others.

Lastly the rule of law and enforcement is important if we are going to build trust in everything that we do, eat and work. I believe in the air that I breathe because the one who pollute it will be punished and cannot buy their way out of it. I believe in the food I eat because I trust in the enforcement of law in food hygiene. In this aspect I think Shi Jinping is going in the right direction in enforcing law and building trust.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-30 14:47:33 |Display all floors
Spore has to find its footing correctly and to abandon its own doctrine of "looking all west" first and then China. This is a national prejudice against another national or nation which has NO comparison with domestic discriminations. Hence, juzunme was comparing apples against oranges unfairly! Chinese migrant workers have suffered quite a bit under the decade old 'hukou" system; but the current Xi & Li team is flushing this system out with sufficient applauses, amazingly well.

China has NOT tuned up "manchu mentality" since after the fall of Last Emperor; and the birth of China has ever since changed the entire picture and that's why Spore and a world of others are fighting for the first spot to join China's growth and successes.

Spore has to find its footing correctly and to abandon its own doctrine of "looking all west" first and then China. This is a national prejudice against another national or nation which has NO comparison with domestic discriminations. Hence, juzunme was comparing apples against oranges unfairly! Chinese migrant workers have suffered quite a bit under the decade old 'hukou" system; but the current Xi & Li team is flushing this system out with sufficient applauses, amazingly well.

China has NOT tuned up "manchu mentality" since after the fall of Last Emperor; and the birth of China has ever since changed the entire picture and that's why Spore and a world of others are fighting for the first spot to join China's growth and successes.

Speaking and writing with delights here about food safety, the issues had been that at least 98% of all Chinese folks in China were unaware of many goodies that they can import  IF cannot be found in China because these people had NOT been out of China due to previous restrictions. Hong Kong was the most convenient outside world that could find heaps of goodies but lately many have started to import directly from various countries. Hong Kong is suffering this uncalled setback for being unreasonable and prejudicially ugly against Chinese mainlanders; no pity for being snoopy and foolish.

A 1.5 billion human in one spot is humongous brain killing headache, and may I ask how many do you have in just your own family that all brothers and sisters could live in harmony without a shit-fight at home? Though no excuses for being dirty and slack; and that's why the current Xi & Li team is doing a world of right and correct things to remodel the Chinese society while the no escape for "flies and tigers" in corruption fights is gaining great momentum. Well done, Sirs! Is Spore (being so clean and healthy) helping China to repatriate crooks and to retrieve all ill-gotten funds of USDxx billions ?

Unhygienic behaviors, pollutions and environmental destructions are classified into one just word, selfishness, disregarding people next to them. People must be made aware of this selfish mentality so that they "see" the grievances of others. As well, if you live long enough in China, you can help as a learnt person to advise people in offices and on the streets to do the right thing every day.  I have been doing it as a tiny contribution to the Chinese society in China; and amazingly its works into them. They do NOT harbor "Manchu mentality" !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-30 23:08:55 |Display all floors
The author should spend more time traveling outside of Beijing and Shanghai, both laowai ghetto-land.  He should try Dalian, Xi'an or Chengdu which is the future of urban China. Singapore is too antiseptic, too scripted, too controlled to be a good model for urban living in 21st Century China. What China needs are more LIVABLE habitats not CORPORATE wastelands. So in this sense, Chengdu is already way ahead of Singapore.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-30 23:11:10 |Display all floors
I think the taste of the pudding is the eating. Can the Singapore Government govern China? Not a hope in Hell because it has no experience to govern such a vast population over such a vast land.

In the last 49 years Singapore rose from a dirty British colony to become one of the richest countries in the world with a per capita GDP of about 320,000 yuan. But this is not true for over 70% of the population as their pays are low for a developed country. Also about 35% of the population are poorly paid foreign-workers from India and Bangladesh and domestic maids from the Philippines and Indonesia.

In 1978 China was a basket case and now 36 years later China is world's biggest trading nation and world's number two economy, soon to be No 1.

This is a bigger accomplishment and on a grander scale than Singapore's so-called "miracle".

The traffic is smooth because a one 1.6 liter Japanese car costs 620,000 yuan in Singapore and only about 124,000 yuan in Japan. The Government keeps most of the money by imposing more than 120% import tax plus an auction for a quota certificate to entitle a person to buy a car.

This quota certificate alone costs 325,000 for a 1.6 liter car. If it happens in Japan or China there will riots in the streets.

The Singapore President's salary is more than the combined salaries of Obama, Xi, Putin, Modi, Hollande, Cameron, Aquino and Abe added together.

The Prime Minister is paid more than Obama by 4 to 5 times. Even a junior minister is paid twice the salary of Obama. Is this sustainable?

With that type of scandalous salaries they had better do a good job or in the next election there could be a new govt.

To compare Singapore to China is like comparing a shrimp to a whale.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-31 02:54:08 |Display all floors
aria1117 date. 2014-8-30 10:07
                                It might take at least a generation to rid Chinese of littering, spitting and other bad behaviors. I ...
aria117
I often saw littering behaviour in Singapore still happening due to complacency of the government bodies.  Much still to be done in Singapore to constantly maintain the clean image of this island State.  In short it is the Chinese and Singaporean governments or any other governments in charge which have to be constantly vigilant in educating her people not to litter and pollute their environment.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-31 06:09:03 |Display all floors
Outside China, Singapore is the only country in the eorld that make the transform itself from a third to first world country run by an oversea Chinese PM in a single generation. This achievement prompt the late China President Deng Xiaopin to make his first official visit destination Singapore rather than others that choses a westerly destination USA.

His main aim is to see what was schieved and progress make and what was the best way for China to move ahead. When asked if China is able to make the same grade as the island state, the answer was that if an oversea Chinese do it, China's Chinese will performed even better than its oversea Chinese in a greater leap and bound.

Contary to many believe, Singapore has make it clear even to US that this country will never choose side with anyone has a problem eith China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-31 07:59:05 |Display all floors
Thai Post time: 2014-8-30 11:00
Yes Singapore is a success story for Asia and even  the world given the constrains she has to deal w ...

life in singapore is too stressful, i would not want to live there!
Human nature is good and can be trusted.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.