Author: Boston101

Does the media intentionally stir up racial hatred?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-8-30 09:05:23 |Display all floors
Alarico Post time: 2014-8-30 08:26
You say this;

Not sure what happened to my response to this?

Lets try again.

This issue is too complex to summarize in a few posts.  Lets just start with the basics.

Individualism and personal responsibility are cardinal virtues in our society.  These values are reinforced in various ways.  This is turn (generally speaking), puts pressure on individuals to uphold these values.

Is this a true statement?

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-8-30 10:11:26 |Display all floors
Does the media intentionally stir up racial hatred?

One of the things that's become very apparent by the replies on this thread is that almost no one here knows how the so called "media" actually works.

First and foremost you have "editorial stance" which also is known as the leaning of a media outlet. It describes the political leaning of the outlet, is it conservative, that is supports the status quo, is it centrist meaning politically neutral or left wing etc, there are dozens of stances.  Some papers have multiple leanings for example.

Secondly a media outlet is not legally considered biased providing it has "voices" of opposition published. This is how Fox TV in the USA and elsewhere has managed to dodge many lawsuits for biased reporting. By having a show on that provides "balanced" coverage they can rant and rave and lie as much as they like, after all they are simply acting as a vehicle for what's called "Op ed" or Opinion Editorials, that is the view of the presenter or his/her writing staff.

In the press the leaning of a newspaper and editorial policy is determined by the Owner or CEO/Chairman of the board or the group it belongs to (for example Fox all follow a standard editorial stance dictated by their owners, Media Corp, the same with Viacom owned media outlets etc).

Another issue to deal with is 24/7 Live news coverage, this gives rise to a crime or happening in the world being endlessly discussed by "talking heads" ie experts who aren't experts in reality. This blows an event out of all proportion.

Then there is the local country and it's censorship laws to contend with.  Almost all states have some form of censorship, it may not be apparent to most but it is there. The UK has D scheduling for sensitive material, it's applied via the courts, there's a similar system in place in Australia, Canada, Germany etc.  In the USA stories can be buried under the heading of "not in the national interest" which involves court imposed gag orders etc.  It's used in the USA as well.  The latest rankings by various press monitoring organisations places the USA at a global position of about the 30th most free press. One of the most pernicious forms of censorship in the USA applies to Israel, it's illegal for any US corporation or citizen to join any form of boycott of Israel. Then there's the various terrorist laws that have been enacted since 2001 many of which are of dubious legality and are used to control what the press report on.  

Then there's corporate censorship which is regularly practiced in the USA by the major news organisations, they simply don't report an event or part of it thus manipulating the views of the people. This is a global issue and it's causing big problems in some parts of the world.

This lot is just the tip of the iceberg.

So is the media guilty of intentionally stirring up racial hatred, yes, no, sometimes.  It depends on the media outlet involved and their editorial stance and political leaning plus a whole lot of other factors.
Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor June's Best Writer 2012 2016 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-8-30 15:02:27 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2014-8-30 13:35
That was a very exhaustive explanation of the media and it hardly needs any retouching. Thanks.

Not all media outlets have advertising to deal with, for example the ABC and SBS in Australia remain editorially independent and the ABC is 100% government funded. SBS does have advertising but they choose advertisers carefully to ensure there is no conflict of interest. The BBC despite it's current problems has a long history of being editorially independent and not taking sides though this has not been the case in recent years due to deliberate campaigns in the UK by both sides of politics to gain control of the BBC.  The Voice of America is simply a propaganda vehicle for the US Administration as are many countries Foreign Radio and broadcast services.

Wire services such as Reuters, now Thomson-Reuters and AAP have always been editorially neutral or try to be and have no advertising revenue per se, they are subscription servies.  However most people do not have access to the raw wire service feeds so never get to see this is the case.  The feed stories are often rewritten by local outlets and slanted to suit their editorial stance, or simply ignored.  

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-30 18:25:48 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2014-8-30 15:02
Not all media outlets have advertising to deal with, for example the ABC and SBS in Australia rema ...

I think what is happening in this case is people are using the media to ignore a real issue.  By saying its 'all the media's fault', they are denying that there is a real problem.   The media did not invent the racial issues in the US.   Not talking about things does not mean that there are no issues.

We should be bringing up racial issues into the public debate.  Let all media outlets add their slant - who cares?  In this case the more opinions, the better IMO.  I like hearing things from a various people's perspective.  That is not a bad thing when talking about social issues.  We do need to start talking about the police and abuse of power.  The media did not invent excessive force from police either.

What is worse is the people who are using a political bias to view the situtation.  I have a colleague I have been debating the ferguson case with.  He is conservative.  He actually told me that the GOP 'supports a strong police state'.   So now its even gone beyond conservatives supporting police to supporting a 'police state'.  

Scary.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-30 18:41:42 |Display all floors
This post was edited by JFenix at 2014-8-30 18:42

One good outcome I am hearing about is from those who want to make constructive changes in their police departments and in their policies to prevent a situation like what happened in ferguson.   An ounce of prevention worth a pound of cure?  Lets hope.

The Oklahoma City police for one.  Look at how they handled a potentially explosive situation surrounding a white cop who used his authority and power to sexually abuse and rape women (all black).  

==========================================================================excerpt from newsok .com

Police said Holtzclaw forced women to expose themselves, fondled the women and, in at least one instance, had intercourse with a woman, Citty said. The incidents occurred in northeast Oklahoma City, in the area patrolled by the department’s Springlake Division.

On the day of Holtzclaw’s arrest, Citty held a news conference and said he was angry and disturbed by the allegations and condemned the officer’s actions.

On Monday, one of the department’s top-ranking officers, Maj. Brian Jennings, hosted a meeting with about 30 religious leaders from the area, in part to defuse any anger and to address concerns regarding the allegations against Holtzclaw and the events in Ferguson.

“I wanted to let them know that the Springlake Division was here to help and be a partner in the community,” Jennings said via email.

Several pastors who attended the meeting said the gathering was timely, given recent events in the city and across the nation.

The Rev. J.A. Reed, with Concerned Clergy for Spiritual Renewal, said Monday’s meeting was important to prevent the kind of community upheaval that occurred in Ferguson.

Good communication with the city police department is more important than ever before, Reed said.

The Rev. Lee Cooper, senior pastor of Prospect Baptist Church, 2809 N Missouri, agreed.

“We left feeling a lot better about some of the things that need to be done in our community, and we were able to get some answers for our congregations,” Cooper said.

The Rev. Alice Richardson, an Oklahoma City Police chaplain, advocated for more such gatherings in the future.

“In light of what is happening in Ferguson, Mo., meetings like this, in my opinion, should be the norm instead of the exception around the country,” Richardson said.

“The Oklahoma City Police Department is ahead of the pack.”

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-30 20:51:10 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2014-8-30 18:25
I think what is happening in this case is people are using the media to ignore a real issue.  By s ...

I tend to agree with you. Though some sections of the mass media are highly biased as I've explained before and pander to a given demographic there are reputable neutral outlets too.   

People tend to blame the media as a whole as it's an easier answer than having to deal with the actual issues and when all is said and done the mass media is a mirror on society in many ways. In other words, you get the mass media you deserve, in the same way that you get the politicians you deserve.

IMHO one of the biggest mistakes made in the past 40 years was allowing mass media ownership to be concentrated in to the hands of a few large conglomerations, this is a recipe for disaster in the long haul.

Per Ardua Ad Astra

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-30 22:00:51 |Display all floors
Ratfink Post time: 2014-8-30 20:51
I tend to agree with you. Though some sections of the mass media are highly biased as I've explain ...
Well "You can't blame me", says the media man
Well "I wasn't the one who came up with the plan
I just point my camera at what the people want to see
Man it's a two way mirror and you cant blame me"

It was you it was me it was every man
We've all got the blood on our hands
We only receive what we demand
And if we want hell then hells what well have

- from Jack Johnson 'Cookie Jar'

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.