Author: Boston101

Does the media intentionally stir up racial hatred?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-8-30 02:22:39 From mobile |Display all floors
JFenix Posted On  2 DayEarlier 18:26
Why?  Because the majority of white americans do not care if the police kill people.  There are no r...

You are right it is the people but people need to take responsibility for their actions instead of saying you are picking on me because of their color. You can catch on them on camera doing the crime yet they will stand in front of of you and deny they are the guilty party until confronted with the evidence and even then not own up to it or at least they are entitled to it because of se past wrong done done to them. No ownership of your actions is the problem.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-30 05:57:39 |Display all floors
warren0353 Post time: 2014-8-30 02:22
You are right it is the people but people need to take responsibility for their actions instead of ...

But minorities are not treated the same by police regardless of personal history.

That is a fact.

I majored in criminology.  This was a big topic and my professors made sure we understood it properly.   There is not only a difference in treatment from police, but also in the judicial system.  There is tons of statistics and information that proves this is true.

You can deny it all you want.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-30 06:19:26 |Display all floors
warren0353 Post time: 2014-8-30 02:22
You are right it is the people but people need to take responsibility for their actions instead of ...

One story I'll never forget from class....

My sociology prof talked about when he was a teenager, him and some other kids broke into a vending machine and took some change.  The police were called and picked up the boys.  He was taken home and the cop spoke to his parents and then he got off with a warning, leaving it to the parents to dish out punishment.

This is unheard of when it comes to black youth.  They are something like 90 times more likely to go to court and into a juvenile detention center on first offenses than white kids.  They may be doing exactly the same crimes, but a white juvenile is more likely NOT to get sentenced on their first offense.   Now if you follow the records of those who committed first offenses of juveniles and the ones who get locked up have a much higher rate of future offenses.  

Unfortunately, the way our correctional system works, incarceration only makes you a better criminal.   It can truly seal your fate if you get drawn into the whole crime sub-culture.  And being human beings, the social creatures that we are, its inevitable that while incarcerated, you will seek out membership of a group.  We can't help it.

That's why the 'projects' were such a bad idea.  You put a bunch of dysfunctional people together it only compounds the dysfunction.  It makes everything worse.  I know...I spent a couple years in some 'low income housing'.  It was a culture all of its own and being different made you a target.  What is the saying?  The road to hell is paved with good intentions?

I'm a big believer in personal responsibility.  Believe me.  I have lived by it.  But I think I am a bit exceptional in the fact that I could really care less about what others think of me.  Peer pressure doesn't really exist to me.  I'm way to independent and stubborn.  But that is the exception and not the rule.  For the majority of people, environment plays a big part.  And when you step back and look at the big picture, we're just not as smart and independent as we think we are (even me).  The book 'Escape from Freedom' touches on this subject.  Its very humbling.  lol

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-30 07:04:46 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2014-8-30 06:19
One story I'll never forget from class....

My sociology prof talked about when he was a teenager, ...

You put a bunch of dysfunctional people together it only compounds the dysfunction.

Put them all together because that's all they deserve-mix them in with decent people and they DONT change for the better-most likely they'll try to drag the decent one's down to their level.

They seldom raise their own game.
Your own mind is a sacred enclosure into which nothing harmful can enter except by your permission. Arnold Bennett

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-30 07:07:09 |Display all floors
Ive seen this especially with drug addicts and other assorted wasters.
Your own mind is a sacred enclosure into which nothing harmful can enter except by your permission. Arnold Bennett

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-30 08:53:37 |Display all floors
Alarico Post time: 2014-8-30 08:26
You say this;

This issue is way too complex to cover with just a few posts.  Lets take things bit by bit shall we?

Lets start with the basics.  Individuality and personal responsibility are cardinal virtues of our society.  We reinforce these values in various ways.  This leads people to judge themselves and others by these standards.  

Do you agree with this statement?

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-30 09:00:25 |Display all floors
St_George Post time: 2014-8-30 07:04
You put a bunch of dysfunctional people together it only compounds the dysfunction.

You are very cynical.  Then again, I'm not surprised at this coming from you.

I lived in the projects and went on to put myself through college graduating with honors.  Within a few years I started my own business.

Sometimes people's lives will take a wrong turn.  

Its worse for those growing up in those environments.  All the dysfunction has become 'normalized' so within that sub-culture, there is a totally different set of values than mainstream.

There was not one person that I had met that hadn't suffered through some kind of tragedy in their lives as children.  Incest, alcoholism, domestic violence, neglect, etc.  Some of them need so much therapy to get 'right' it can seem pretty hopeless.  The key is breaking the chain.  Poverty begets poverty, violence begets violence.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.