Author: robbin_zhang

how to say "盒饭" in English [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-6-11 22:27:24 |Display all floors

really thanks a lot

i really think lunch box or maybe take-away lunch is most proper. in fact it's just a kind of Chinese fast food.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-12 09:05:01 |Display all floors

NO...

it's not just chinese style, a take-way is available abroad too, fg, in Europe...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-12 20:46:12 |Display all floors

:)

take-away is not right here.

A take-away refers to the food you buy at a fast food stand like Mc Donald or KFC.  Take-away is 外买,

So as a teacher,  you should understand what kind of Hefan it is before you interprete it.

Some people bring home-made lunch to their office, in Chinse, it is also called Hefan.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-13 00:02:11 |Display all floors

Box lunch is very popular also classic

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-13 02:27:33 |Display all floors

To mike1203cn

Re: "Some people bring home-made lunch to their office, in Chinse, it is also called Hefan."

So my translation "Lunch box" is not wrong. In the West, some wives would prepare a "lunch box" for their husbands to take to work with them. These "lunch boxes" would usually contain sandwiches or salads. In India, Pakistan, Indonesia, Malaysia, etc., wives prepare a "TIFFIN" for their husbands to take to work with them. "Tiffin" is a food carrier which comprises several layers of round metal containers which fit on top of each other and held together by a metal band with a handle on top. One container is for rice orbread and the other/s is for the curry.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-13 15:53:48 |Display all floors

to my dear temico

I just ' take-away' is not right here. not lunch box you did.

I love your explanation anyway.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-13 17:19:58 |Display all floors

盒饭=box rice

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.