Author: btfx

How to foster children's independence?     [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-8-13 08:53:04 |Display all floors
dusty1 Post time: 2014-8-13 08:04
I expect a 5 yo chins do compleat tasks that a a Chinese 16 yo cannot do. Like fix their own breakfa ...

My daughter is 5 1/2 years old and she makes her own bed, feeds herself, takes a shower by herself, helps clean, helps her mom in the kitchen, and sh1ts by herself.  And she enjoys doing these things.  I have seen many kids here in China much older than her still being fed by their parents and running wild in restaurants.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-13 10:35:29 |Display all floors
dusty1 Post time: 2014-8-13 08:07
A good parent disciplines the child through love

Twentyfive percent out of nothing is still nothing!

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-8-13 10:38:51 |Display all floors
RENREW Post time: 2014-8-13 10:35

Use magic tools Report

2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-8-13 10:46:55 |Display all floors
Teach your child how to make decisions and accept consequences.
If a child is wise and curious enough to ask a question, s/he is old enough to hear the answer.
Encourage critical thinking skills and thinking outside of traditional lines. (NOT to flout tradition altogether!)
Say what you mean and mean what you say.
Do not be their friend. Be their parent.
The journey IS the destination!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-13 10:56:23 |Display all floors
I was 5 years old when starting my first day in school. Reading the above reminds me that whilst staying in the schools hostel (My parents were farmers and too far from the capital.) with a lot of other children we had to appear in Uniform daily and line up for inspection before school started. We were wearing a blazer, a correctly knotted tie, a cap, shirt, shorts, shiny shoes and knee long socks to complete the set.

They…, taught us how to dress properly within the first 2 weeks of my arrival.
I guess my independence started about that time.  Looking back fostering my daughter (25yo) & son (27yo) generally became a piece of cake!
Twentyfive percent out of nothing is still nothing!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-13 13:33:46 |Display all floors
As for as I am concerned,to be independence for chilldren should be developed when they were born.As we always say that parents are the best teacher for children ,they are instinct to learn what parents do.So it's definitely important for partents to be good example for their children.Besides,to inspire children what they should do not manage everyting well for them.Pantents' advices or suggestions should just be considered for children,actually they have the final call.It's long process for children to be indepenece,it won't work out in one day or two ,but time tries all.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-8-13 17:24:41 |Display all floors
It's no wonder that we are, and will, always be kids in our parents eyes, esp. in a world of globalization as well as uncertainty. However, sometimes pressure given from parents could not be solves easily.  My view is go out for a wholy new environment to improve ourselves on the premise of telling them that we are safe and we are capable of dealing with issues surrounding us!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.