Author: yapchongyee

THE RISE OF CHINA'S SOFT POWER ! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-6-16 22:16:23 |Display all floors
Originally posted by john_galt at 16/6/07 15:41
Soft  power, hard power.  Does it matter?  Conflict between nations will always be with us, I think.  We will have wars as long as we have humans.  Actually, wars seem to have been around before hu ...

Soft power, hard power. Does it matter?

Yes, I think it does. If a nation-state has a sh*t load of hard power and no soft power, the ability to avert death and destruction brought about by war is reduced.

The basic concept of power is the ability to influence others to get them to do what you want. There are three major ways to do that: one is to threaten them with sticks (military); the second is to pay them with carrots (GDP); the third is to attract them or co-opt them, so that they want what you want. If you can get others to be attracted to want what you want it costs you much less in carrots and sticks.

Soft power, then, can be seen as the last of these three avenues. It is the influence and attractiveness a nation acquires when others are drawn to its culture and ideas.

If a nation appeals to other nations then they are less likely to fight. If a nation has less appeal, then it is easier to demonise them and hence conflict becomes more possible; so, soft power is a very important aspect of a state’s ability to preserve itself.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-16 22:16:53 |Display all floors
Soft  power, hard power.  Does it matter?  Conflict between nations will always be with us, I think.  We will have wars as long as we have humans.  Actually, wars seem to have been around before hu ...

Yes, I think it does. If a nation-state has an abundance of hard power and no soft power, the ability to avert death and destruction brought about by war is reduced.

The basic concept of power is the ability to influence others to get them to do what you want. There are three major ways to do that: one is to threaten them with sticks (military); the second is to pay them with carrots (GDP); the third is to attract them or co-opt them, so that they want what you want. If you can get others to be attracted to want what you want it costs you much less in carrots and sticks.

Soft power, then, can be seen as the last of these three avenues. It is the influence and attractiveness a nation acquires when others are drawn to its culture and ideas.

If a nation appeals to other nations then they are less likely to fight. If a nation has less appeal, then it is easier to demonise them and hence conflict becomes more possible; so, soft power is a very important aspect of a state’s ability to preserve itself.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-16 22:17:07 |Display all floors

Yes, I think it does. If a nation-state has an abundance of hard power and no soft power, the ability to avert death and destruction brought about by war is reduced.

If a nation appeals to other nations then they are less likely to fight. If a nation has less appeal, then it is easier to demonise them and hence conflict becomes more possible; so, soft power is a very important aspect of a state's ability to preserve itself.

[ Last edited by archie_78 at 2007-6-17 12:21 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-17 00:48:00 |Display all floors
If I read Sun Tzu correctly, even with military it's often wiser to utilize the soft powers like diplomacy/espionage/strategy etc before actual confrontation.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-5 05:23:50 |Display all floors

PRC now in first place in carbon dioxide production

look it up... congrats!  Happy fourth of July...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-7 12:20:54 |Display all floors

Reply #6 john_galt's post

ha ha ha ha ha

I like your story!

ha ha ha

Green Dragon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-9 14:20:32 |Display all floors

Just like Genghis Khan and the Mongols...

China will go up real fast and come down even faster.

I am just hoping the world can bring down the Chinese before they take over 90% of the world and slaughter millions...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.