Views: 908|Replies: 1

India furious over ‘unacceptable’ US surveillance [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-8-1 03:47:53 |Display all floors
Jul 31, 2014

India has condemned US spying on the country’s ruling party as “unacceptable” after recent allegations that Washington’s National Security Agency (NSA) targeted the newly-elected Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP).

“I raised this issue (US spying) and ... when the news came out in the Indian media, people were angry,” Foreign Minister Sushma Swaraj said at a joint press conference with her visiting counterpart John Kerry in the capital, New Delhi, on Thursday.

Last month, American newspaper the Washington Post made public a classified document, supplied by fugitive former NSA contractor Edward Snowden, which showed that the BJP was among the targets for the NSA in 2010 while it was India's main opposition.

India summoned the top diplomat at the US embassy in New Delhi, in response, to protest.

India also complained to the US on two other occasions in 2013 over other surveillance revelations, including the disclosure that its UN mission in New York and its Washington embassy were under surveillance.

Kerry told reporters that he could not comment on the issue. “We have a policy in the United States with respect to intelligence matters, we do not discuss intelligence matters in public.”

Last year, Snowden leaked two top secret US government spying programs under which the NSA and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) have been eavesdropping on millions of American and European phone records and the Internet data from major Internet companies such as Facebook, Yahoo, Google, Apple, and Microsoft.

The NSA scandal took even broader dimensions when Snowden revealed information about its espionage activities targeting friendly countries.

Last October, British daily The Guardian reported that the NSA had monitored the telephone conversations of 35 world leaders.

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2014-8-2 20:04:07 |Display all floors
For those of you who do not understand the language called "Diplomatese", the translation to plain English is in brackets [], immediately following the quote.

- KIyer

Article Excerpt from The Hindu July 31 2014

by Suhasini Haidar

In India’s strongest statement on the issue yet, External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj called the U.S. surveillance of Indian entities "unacceptable", and said she had taken up the issue of "snooping" by the National Security Agency (NSA) with Secretary of State John Kerry during the India-U.S. strategic dialogue here on Thursday.

"I did raise the snooping issue with Mr. Kerry," Ms. Swaraj told presspersons at a joint press conference. "I told him that people in India were angry. I told him that since we are friendly nations, it is not acceptable to us."

[Sushma Swaraj with a wide smiley face: "I told Mr. Kerry that with friends like the USA, who needs enemies?"]

In reply, Mr. Kerry said, "We do not discuss intelligence matters in public. We value our relationship with India. President [Barack] Obama has undertaken a unique and unprecedented review of our intelligence."

[John Kerry with an even wider smile: "We dont discuss OUR sneaky acts in public, but if we think you or someone like China or Russia do it, we would like to talk about it publicly. We are going to continue to do as we have always done. We will review our processes to make sure we dont get caught so easily the next time we do it. We very much value our relationship of control over you or any nation. Get used to it."]
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.