Author: 味儿

Hello!I am a Chinese girl,I want a Engligh friend~   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-7-25 08:57:45 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2014-7-25 08:54
So What is a British or an American accent? A person from Cornwall and a person from Newcastle spe ...

I'm not one of you. So I just mean in general.
And I'm not going argue with you if you say Chinese putonghua and Malaysian putonghua.
There are different Chinese accents as well,but it can be ignored for non-native speakers,I'm not going harsh.
As long as they can understand and can be understood,why should we care the accent difference?
elegant star jewelry www.e-starjewelry.com

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-7-25 09:06:00 |Display all floors
forget-me-not Post time: 2014-7-25 08:57
I'm not one of you. So I just mean in general.
And I'm not going argue with you if you say Chinese ...

If you went to the UK you would know what I mean, talking to the locals in Newcastle or Glasgow even some people born and bred in the UK have difficuly understanding all, as for the US, I have to listen very carefully to understand those with a strong Southern drawl.

In China, although my Chinese is not good, I can understand those with a Beijing accent much better and those with accents from Anhui much worse and I am talking of them speaking Putonghua and not their local dialects, it is also easy to know where and from who a Chi8nese person learned their English from the way they talk.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-25 10:19:38 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2014-7-25 09:06
If you went to the UK you would know what I mean, talking to the locals in Newcastle or Glasgow ev ...

I know what you are talking about. Some of the accents are difficult to understand. In China,I don't have a problem to understand their putonghua from different provinces.

I didn't know English speaking people would have problem to understand each other.I'm surprised.
I can't understand the Irish. And that accents you just mentioned,I never heard yet.
As an English learner still,my accent is a little bit America,but not quite like them. I think they opening their mouth toooo big sometimes,when pronoucing some words. But I can be understood,so I don't have a problem with the accent part.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-25 10:26:10 |Display all floors
If you went to the UK you would know what I mean, talking to the locals in Newcastle or Glasgow ev ...

I do. But I didn't know people from the English-speaking countries would have problem understanding each other. The Queen's english,as you said,is easy to understand. And it's the original,right? Others are just variants,or let's say,failed copies? I'm speaking up for you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-25 10:30:14 |Display all floors

That's because their putonghua is not that standard.

Beijing putonghua is easy to understand. But they are also talking with too much "er" in their accents,not really beautiful. In general,their putonghua is the best,compared with other provinces.
I don't know why there are so many dialects in China. If we don't have putonghua,we will have problem understanding each other when talking. The writings are the same though.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-25 10:33:03 |Display all floors

Beijing putonghua is the closest to the standard,except they pronounced too much "er" in their talking.
And they have slangs which are just used in the north. Souther provinces all have different dialects.
Without putonghua,Chinese people cannot understand each other when talking.
But the writing is the same.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-7-25 10:38:51 |Display all floors
forget-me-not Post time: 2014-7-25 10:26
I do. But I didn't know people from the English-speaking countries would have problem understandin ...

We used to say good English was BBC English as regional accents were not allowed in BBC announcers however that has all changed.

On the whole accents are fading in the UK as people move around more, the same applies in China, look at how Shanghainese is dying.

The dialects are not really variants but different developments often from the times where people seldom moved around and lived in the same village their whole lives.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.