Author: moonshooter

Nine hidden Hong Kong islands [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-7-21 15:57:32 |Display all floors

Po Toi(蒲台岛)

So close, so different

Only a few kilometres from the hustle of Hong Kong Island there is a place inhabited by people who have no official electricity and no running water supply. This is Po Toi, an island which used to be home to over a thousand people, although the population has dropped to under 200 in recent times, resulting in several streets of eerie, abandoned village houses.

Po Toi is a relatively sizeable 3.7sq km, making it a good spot for a day of walking. There's one main path on the island, the Po Toi Country Trail, a figure-of-eight loop.

The coastal section of the walk is shorter and easier, and can be completed in well under an hour. This loop takes in Po Toi's photogenic lighthouse as well as some dramatic rock formations: spot the famous Turtle Climbing up the Mountain, Monk Rock and Palm Cliff. You can also take a short detour down a cliff to two large Bronze Age carvings.

The other half of the path takes you up the hill to a pagoda at Ngau Wu Teng, with rewarding views. This portion of the walk is around three kilometres, with some steep and occasionally overgrown sections. Back down near the village, try the 15-minute signposted detour up to the reputedly haunted Mo's Old House.

Finish up your day at the small village down in Tai Wan. Ming Kee seafood restaurant is highly regarded for its black pepper squid. You can also wander up to the Tin Hau temple for scenic views.

Don't miss Those rocks.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-21 15:58:38 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-21 15:59:00 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member 2015 Most Popular Member 2014 Most Popular Member

Post time 2014-7-22 10:30:44 |Display all floors
I noticed some islands yesterday when I was in Hong Kong, I was wondering who owed the islands, thank you for answering my question. :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-22 10:33:34 |Display all floors
I am so checking these places out. I'm in Hong Kong quite often but usually just in the malls and Ocean Park. I really wanna see more of what nature has to offer in Hong Kong!!
Thanks for posting this info
I am me and that is something you will never be, no matter how hard you try!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-22 15:40:56 |Display all floors
dusty1 Post time: 2014-7-22 10:30
I noticed some islands yesterday when I was in Hong Kong, I was wondering who owed the islands, than ...

HK government owes all islands,if someone occupied an island privately,he would be sent to prison,In china,land shall be owned by the state.Chinese people can not own,but have lease holds.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-22 15:48:52 |Display all floors
Cdogg Post time: 2014-7-22 10:33
I am so checking these places out. I'm in Hong Kong quite often but usually just in the malls and Oc ...

fast-paced life,high-paid work,high-rise buildings,high housing price,financial center,these things came into my mind first when taking about HK.Maybe you just do not have time and energy to discover natural sceneries.   

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.