Author: wangdonne

I am not sure the meaning of this sentence... [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-6-5 17:04:53 |Display all floors

To matt605

Re: "Between the mountains on both sides of southern and northern, the river runs across the center of the city."

Your own above sentence makes no sense. What exactly are you trying to say?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-5 19:26:05 |Display all floors

sentence makes sense enough

the most serious problem with the sentence was the verb, but if you want to know how I would phrase it, it would read:

"The river runs through the center of the city, with mountains on the northern and southern sides."

generally, better sentences avoid the use of the form "is x-ing", like

is running
was running
is flowing
was flowing

better to use

runs
ran
flows
flowed

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-5 20:41:30 |Display all floors

"makes sense enough", really??

Are you trying to tell me that your following two sentences mean the same and are both grammatically correct?

1. "Between the mountains on both sides of southern and northern, the river runs across the center of the city."

2. "The river runs through the center of the city, with mountains on the northern and southern sides."

FYI, sentence (1) is not even English. There is no such English description as "on both sides of southern and northern"

Sentence (2) is ambiguous because it is not clear whether the mountains are flanking the river or the city. BTW, the city CANNOT cover the WHOLE length of the river. Your sentence can be grammatically re-written as follows:-

a) "The river, with mountains on the northern and southern sides,  runs through the center of the city"

b) With mountains on the northern and southern sides, the river runs through the center of the city."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-5 21:05:55 |Display all floors

delete - crap

delete - crap

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-5 21:06:24 |Display all floors

delete - duplicate

delete - duplicate

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-5 22:33:10 |Display all floors

Yes, it makes sense enough.

The required degree of technical perfection in syntax or thought  is always contextual.

How is it that the sentence makes sense to me but not to you?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-6-6 05:02:53 |Display all floors

Re: "How is it that the sentence makes sense to me but not to you?"

That's a very good question to ask yourself. BTW, those who are unable to convince others might just well talk to their reflection in the mirror!!!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.