Views: 20772|Replies: 171

McDonald's murder in China sparks outrage   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-6-1 23:14:43 |Display all floors
01 Jun 2014.

The murder of a woman at a fastfood restaurant in China has sparked a national outcry after it was revealed she was beaten to death for allegedly refusing to give her telephone number to members of a banned religious group.

The 37-year-old woman was attacked by a group of people who were described as being members of the Church of Almighty God religious movement, state media reported.

The group preached a global apocalypse would take place in 2012 and has been banned by Chinese authorities.

The attack occurred last Wednesday at a McDonald's restaurant in northeastern Shandong province and was captured on surveillance video, the official Xinhua News Agency said in a commentary.

Video footage of the attack was shown on China Central Television on Saturday.

Six alleged group members, including four from one family, have been arrested over the attack, state media reported.

"The audacity of the cult members to terrorize their victim at a McDonald's, a chain frequented by average Chinese, further racked people's nerves," Xinhua said.

Apart from shock and anger, many social media users condemned onlookers, who failed to stop the assault in coastal Zhaoyuan city, about 160 km north of Qingdao.

"If I stay quiet today, who will help me cry for help when I suffer from misfortunes in the future?," asked one Weibo user.

"If I don't speak up as a passerby, then one day, if injustice should come upon me, no one would speak up for me as well."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-2 07:26:56 |Display all floors
ZhuJon Post time: 2014-6-2 00:04
It is disgusting that no one came to her aid.

What aid you can offer if you are barehanded in front of a group of six with steal bars that are beaten a person? Call 110, and hope the attackers won't start at others!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-2 07:38:54 |Display all floors
Many moons ago, we were having dinner with my wife and some friends in a restaurant in Guangdong when a group of maybe 6-7 or seven guys with sticks and long knifes run in the place. They went straight to the table behind ours and one of the guys slashed a woman on the neck the others taking it on the other people sitting at that table. I remember being frozen for a few seconds and then grabbing my wife by the arm and running for the stairs.  Once outside the restaurant I just stood there terrorized of what I just saw. The police arrived a few minutes later and we were allowed in to get our belongings. It think we did the right thing, considering the nature and weapons the attackers had.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-2 07:52:16 |Display all floors
I doubt the Japanese were involved in this. Sounds like Chinese against Chinese violence.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-2 08:04:14 |Display all floors
ZhuJon Post time: 2014-6-2 00:04
It is disgusting that no one came to her aid.

Definitely. Sometimes I think we should all be on the German system, over there if you don't help out another citizen in need when you are able to, you too can be held responsible. (according to my German friend at least)
You know that every time I try to go
Where I really want to be
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-2 08:06:08 |Display all floors
longzhou Post time: 2014-6-2 07:38
Many moons ago, we were having dinner with my wife and some friends in a restaurant in Guangdong whe ...

Haha, that's true.

I feel bad now, I just said 5 mins ago in another post that we should adopt the German system, where onlookers MUST help but after reading your story...I think I would probably react in a similar manner.

It's one of those things I suppose, it's nice to think you would help out but in reality...I think I would piss my pants
You know that every time I try to go
Where I really want to be
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-2 10:52:49 |Display all floors
longzhou Post time: 2014-6-2 07:26
What aid you can offer if you are barehanded in front of a group of six with steal bars that are b ...

a group of six and you don't mean to tell me there were fewer than six more people in the MCD.only the employees there are enough to fight back let alone other by standers.is just the clumsiness of the chinese people.when important things to talk about or react they won't but when it comes to little things that don't matter they will shout at the top of their voices.a guy picked my phone while ridding the bus and this guy didn't tell me.when the pick pocket drop off and after two stops,he sheepishly come to tell me my phone has been stolen.what use has that got?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.