Views: 15698|Replies: 33

How students in the world spend their summer vacation?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-5-28 08:53:37 |Display all floors
Summer vacation provides Chinese students who had a poor academic performance to take extra class to catch up. And most Chinese partents will list things to do for their childern during the summer holidays.  I want to know how students in the world spend their summer vacation. What's their daily schedule lilke?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-28 12:26:13 |Display all floors
This will vary a lot from country to country. In the UK, given the ever rising costs of university tuition, many will take a summer job. That might be in the UK. However it is a long gap and does not rule out a cheap holiday too - there are value well-packaged deals to sunny Spain, Greece, Italy. Also loads of budget flights, and multi country rail travel tickets. However work and travel can be combined. Thousands each summer go to work on American Summer Camps looking after kids for free room, board, pocket money enough to see a bit of USA before coming back.

In USA, under the college credit system, there are summer schools and college students can catch up on courses missed or failed.. This is also a popular time to do summer study abroad for credit and or an internship abroad. Of course some students work especially as they may be working part-time through college throughout and do not want to lose the job! That's a start!
To read more about me: http://capaworld.capa.org/2014/01/17/capa-resident-director-china-programs-interview-colin-speakman/.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-28 13:13:14 |Display all floors
One comment. There is not necessarily a daily schedule! Students have loads of things that they plan to catch up on and fit in, in the summer. It is a long break. In UK, exams are in June usually and all July and August for sure are free, but usually  most of September too. At least 10 weeks! In USA, on semester system schools, exams are early to mid May and Fall semester starts mid August  onwards so potentially 12 weeks break. They won't all be spent the same way.  Some may do a five week Summer session and lots more.
To read more about me: http://capaworld.capa.org/2014/01/17/capa-resident-director-china-programs-interview-colin-speakman/.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-28 13:16:05 |Display all floors
Homework, play, and perhaps part-time and travel

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-28 13:46:48 |Display all floors
In my college days I worked all four summers. The first year, my freshman year, I worked for a professor on his research project doing mostly menial jobs. My sophomore year I worked in a canning factory that canned peas, carrots, corn and such. I worked in the packaging department on the production line. My junior year I again worked in factories, mostly on two eight-hour shifts. I worked as a punch press operator in a TV screen manufacturing plant, a machinist in a furniture making plant, and an assembly line worker in a stationery manufacturer. My senior year I worked in restaurants waiting on tables and helping out in kitchens.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-28 13:49:02 |Display all floors
Oh, I forgot to mention that it was in the 1960's in the U.S.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-28 16:22:54 From mobile |Display all floors
laoren1234 Posted On  2 HourEarlier
In my college days I worked all four summers. The first year, my freshman year, I worked for a profe...

wow,really admire your colorful experience during college times.Compared with yours ,

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.