Views: 3979|Replies: 4

How do you get a hot enough flame for proper stir fry on US stoves? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-5-20 06:29:37 |Display all floors
Now that I've got my fiance here, she's home and cooking. She's pretty frustrated at how cool the flame is on our stove. But there's no way to make it hotter. I bought a good round-bottomed cast iron wok for her, and she uses that with a ring over the medium size burner. The large size burner has too big a diameter of flame, and gives no heat to the middle/bottom of the wok.
I am wondering if an electric wok would work better here...

What are you guys doing, who cook Chinese food in the US, where most of our burners are too cool?

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2014-5-20 12:36:20 |Display all floors
This post was edited by WhiteBear at 2014-5-20 05:40

I would suggest to buy the "wok stove" as a separate one, simple "one burner" model.
There are also just "wok burners" available on the ebay - about 100USD for a set.

Electric one is slowly heating and cooling (yes, more equaly, but not quick enough for my own taste) - quick cooling of the sides, while letting the middle hot (and vice versa) is quite essential for me.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-20 23:43:47 |Display all floors
WhiteBear is right. It can be used for Hot Pot also. I bought my wife a wok after reading many reviews.
She doesn't use it. "No good"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-24 15:10:33 |Display all floors
You can buy a different burner grille that has the angled supports for use with a wok.
The wok concentrates the heat into the middle where the oil is.
I'm just here for the money

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-27 06:09:19 |Display all floors
I wound up getting a Presto electric wok, after reading many reviews of it on Amazon. Lots of folks had some of the same complaints I had of teflon coated ones on regular American burners.

This one is so easy. Heats up quick, very hot, and can be turned down just to hold something warm.

This morning, Ivy fried some noodles with tomatoes and eggs with it very hot. Then, added some water and other stuff, and turned it down to just above boiling. She seems to like it! (me too)

I think the trick with the electric ones is to get one that isn't coated. The Presto one I mentioned above is stainless steel.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.