Views: 10825|Replies: 19

English-sthdy notes Ⅰ [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-5-15 22:32:03 |Display all floors
This post was edited by liu5222512 at 2014-8-3 14:13

1  ‘Don't you think that',I asked the coachman,in the first stage out of London,'a very remarkable sky?I don't remember to have seen one like it.'

'Nor I — not equal to it,' he replied. 'That's wind,sir.There'll be mischief done at sea,I expect,before long.'

2  As we struggled on,nearer and nearer to the sea,from which this mighty wind was blowing dead on shore,its force became more and more terrific. Long before we saw the sea,its spray was on our lips,and showered salt rain upon us.

—   Charles Dickens' David Copperfield   chapter LV.

1  before long  我认为,很快,海上会有事发生。
2  long before 很快,不久之后

before long:  相当于soon,

long before:  相当于long long ago

1  I hope to see you before long   

2  It looks as though it will snow before long

3  I’ll be back before long.

4  Before long he got married.

5  We will see film before long.

6  Before long Harry came running behind us.

In the six sentences above: before long = soon

(1) 老早,早就。如:

She had left long before.

That had happened long before.

(2)

She had left long before his return.

在他回来的很久以前

He had worked in the factory long before he got married.  

在他还没有结婚的很久以前

This happened long before you were born.

出生以前很久就发生了。

(3)

It was long before six.到6点还早呢。

It was long before he came back. 过了好久他才回来。

It won’t be long before we see each other. 不久我们又会见面的。

It will be long before we arrive 。还要很久,我们才能到。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-15 23:18:07 |Display all floors

It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife.
However little known the feelings or views of such a man may be on his first entering a neighbourhood,this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding families,that he is considered as the rightful property of some one or other of their daughters.

—  Jane Austen's  Pride and Prejudice   chapter I

凡是有钱的单身汉,总想娶位太太,这已经成了一条举世公认的道理。

这样一个单身男人初到一个地方住下来,左邻右舍们虽然对他的性情、观念一无所知,却已经把他视为他们某个女儿的一笔理所应得的财产,因为那句至理名言已深深铭刻在他们的内心。

a single man in possession of a good fortune      钻石王老五

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-18 11:21:19 |Display all floors
This post was edited by liu5222512 at 2014-5-19 22:34

The migrant people,scuttling for work,scrabbling to live,looked always for pleasure,dug for pleasure,manufactured pleasure,and they were hungry for amusement.Sometimes amusement lay in speech,and they climbed up their lives with jokes.And it came about in the camps along the road,on the ditch banks besides the streams,under the sycamores,that the story teller grew into being,so that the people gathered in the low firelight to hear the gifted ones.And they listened while the tales were told,and their participation made the stories great.

— John Steinbeck’s The Grapes of Wrath  chapter XXII

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-25 12:26:20 |Display all floors
This post was edited by liu5222512 at 2014-8-15 10:53

1 An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind.

2  Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

3  First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win.

4  Whenever I despair, I remember that the way of truth and love has always won. There may be tyrants and murderers, and for a time, they may seem invincible, but in the end, they always fail. Think of it: always...

5  Be the change you want to see in the world

6  I have not the shadow of a doubt that any man or woman can achieve what I have,if he or she would make the same effort and cultivate the same hope and faith. ”

7  “To see the universal and all-pervading spirit of truth face to face one must be able to love the meanest of creatures as oneself. ”

-Mahatma Gandhi

1  以眼还眼,世界只会更盲目。

4   “当我绝望时,我会想起,在历史上只有真理和爱能得胜。历史上有很多暴君和凶手,在短期内或许是所向无敌的,但是终究总是会失败,好好想一想,永远都是这样……” ――甘地

5   欲变世界,先变其身

6    “真理的精神遍布各地、处处皆有。但若想面对它,必须像爱护自己那样爱护地位最低微的人”。

Einstein said of Gandhi:

Generations to come will scarce believe that such a one as this walked the earth in flesh and blood.

后世之人都无法相信这样一个人曾经活生生以血肉之躯的在这个世界上走过.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-24 12:32:18 |Display all floors
This post was edited by liu5222512 at 2014-6-25 11:39

Ralph Waldo Emerson’s aphorisms

1  A day is a miniature of eternity.
2  A great man is always willing to be little.
3  Don't waste life in doubts and fears.
4  The lover of nature is he whose inward and outward senses are still truly adjusted to each other; who has retained the spirit of infancy even into the era of manhood.     
5  For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness.
6  It takes a lot of thought and effort and downright determination to be agreeable.   
7  Knowledge is a city to the building of which every human being brought a stone.
8  Throughout life, we rely on small groups of people for love, admiration, respect, moral support and help.   
9  Knowledge is the antidote of fear.
10 A beautiful form is better than a beautiful face; a beautiful behavior than a beautiful form.   11 Friendship is an essential ingredient in the making of a healthful, rewarding life.  Ralph Waldo  12 Friendship is both a source of pleasure and a component of good health.   
13 When something sensational happens to us, sharing the happiness of the occasion with friends intensifies our joy. Conversely, in times of trouble and tension, when our spirits are low, unburdening our worries and fears to compassionate friends alleviates the stress.  
14 Life itself, without the assistance of colleges and universities, is becoming an advanced institution of learning.

1        一天是永恒的缩影。
2        伟大的人物总是愿意当小人物的。
3  不要把生命浪费于怀疑与恐惧中。
4  热爱大自然的人内外感觉协调一致,即使进入成年后依然保持着童心。
5  你每发怒一分钟,也就失去了六十秒的幸福。
6  要做到与人融洽相处,需要仔细地思考,认真地努力和痛下决心。
7  知识是一座城堡,每个人都应为它增砖添瓦。
8  整个一生, 我们都有赖于从一些人群中获得友爱、赏识、尊重、道义支持和帮助。
9  知识是治疗恐惧的药。
10美丽的外形胜过漂亮的脸蛋;美丽的行为胜过美丽的外形。
11友谊是使人的一生健康而有意义所不可缺少的组成部分。
12友谊既是快乐之源泉,又是健康之要素。
13欣逢喜事,与朋友分享其乐,喜上加喜。反之,身处逆境,情绪颓丧,向富有同情心的朋友倾诉愁苦才会减轻痛苦。
14没有学院和大学的帮助,人生本身也正在变成一所高等学府。
—— Thomas Alva Edison 爱迪生

1  Be yourself.Trust your own inner voice.
2  Trust thyself:every heart vibrates to that iron string.
   那强劲的丝弦
3  What I must do is all that concerns me,not what the people think.
4  Whose would be a man must be a nonconformist.
5  Insist on yourself;never imitate.

3  我必须做的是一切与我有关的事,而不是别人想要我做的事。
4  任何名副其实真正的人,都必须是不落俗套的人。
5  坚持自已,决不模仿。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-6-25 10:54:44 |Display all floors

我们生活在太阳光里,生活在表面上──一种贫瘠的,貌似有意义的,肤浅的生存,谈论着沉思,先知,艺术和创造。但是,从我们肤浅而毫无价值的生活方式中,怎么能产生伟大的高尚?现在来吧,让我们缄口沉默。让我们手捂着嘴,过上漫长,严竣,毕达哥拉斯式的五年。让我们用爱神的眼和心维持在角落里的生活,做杂活,受苦,哭泣,服贱役。”_______________爱默生

I try to find its English version,but I failed,who can give me a favor?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-7-16 22:22:44 |Display all floors
This post was edited by liu5222512 at 2014-7-21 00:30

The little less,and what worlds away.
只少了一点点,就有无穷的不同
(from Robert Browning's poem)

All places that the eye of heaven visits

Are to the wise man ports and happy havens.

“凡是上苍眼睛所看到的一切地方,

对智者而言,都是避风港与幸福地”

(译者注:引自莎翁;“查理二世”,第一幕,第三场。)

Its normal word order is:

All places that the eye of heaven visits are prots and happy havens to the wise man.

Use magic tools Report

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.