Views: 12174|Replies: 27

Spanking kids can be the right thing to do   [Copy link] 中文

August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012

Post time 2014-4-30 14:10:31 |Display all floors
This post was edited by DSseeing at 2014-4-30 14:13

It's International Spankout Day today, which was established to promote non-violent discipline of children in USA. Well, has it seriously bring your attention?

Is spanking the thing that you should never do to kids? I don't think so.

I don't know about you. but spanking did work for me. Recalling my own childhood, I can still remember three times when I got spanked.

There's one time after I got caught red-handed stealing crab apples with my cousin in a vegetable garden. The man told my father and I got a good beating.

There's another time after I slashed all someone's sunflowers in halves with a reaphook for fun, my mother spanked me hard until a scab on my arm went off and the blood dripped.

There's another time when my primary school teacher kicked my butt after I skipped a school day.

To me, those spankings served me right. I learned that I shouldn't have disgraced my father, and there is a consequence for stealing.

I also learned that there's always a price to pay for your own wrong-doing. Most importantly, I never skipped a single class ever after that spanking, now I should be grateful to the teacher that I became the only one in my village who got enrolled into a university.

Spanking is not rare in Chinese parenting. Chinese parents may have a different story to tell.
I'm not suggesting that you should always spank your kids, it's just that you should work on the timing.
Do you still think a child will be better-off without spanking?
t01bb8295f8bf204c21.jpg
]
Life is what you make of it

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-30 14:14:08 |Display all floors
77de9208jw1efxbd53zitj20dw0afwez.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2014-4-30 15:39:13 |Display all floors
Quick snap (but not in the face!) sometimes may be necessary - to attract the attention, but not making the real pain...

If somebody have to make pain as a punishment... he is a poor tutor.

Of course "spanking" is EASY, other ways of punishment (no internet, no computer, no TV, no going out with the friends, adittional house works, and so on...) requires more caution, but are much more effective, if the "rewards system" (that I think should be the main "tool") fails at some point.

Is the spanking punishment? Or it is just "revange"? In the consequence it can not to correct the behavior, but creates the violent person... Is it good?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-30 21:23:01 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-30 21:23:16 |Display all floors
Were you spanked when you were young?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-30 22:15:17 |Display all floors
This post was edited by kodayuu at 2014-4-30 22:16

It is said that some nerves in face may affect the hearing.
True?

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2014-4-30 22:37:33 |Display all floors
DSseeing Post time: 2014-4-30 14:23
Were you spanked when you were young?

I was, few times, untill the moment when I said to my father that if He hit me again - I'll do exactly the same (I was 10yo) - this solved the matter once and for good.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.