Views: 2289|Replies: 5

How to reply if a Chinese ask you questions such as... [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-4-29 16:03:43 |Display all floors
How to reply if a Chinese ask you questions such as "你吃了吗“,”你要去哪儿“...

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2014-4-30 00:21:43 |Display all floors
"have You eaten" - means "I care about You" or.. "sorry mate, this is my time to eat, please don't disturb..." (depands on the situation).

"where are You going" - also means that they care about You, usually They don't require full explanation, just "cha bu duo" (please excuse me misspelling")

btw. as this section is not about the language learning - please ask the questions translated, to avoid missunderstanding :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-30 01:24:37 |Display all floors
This post was edited by kodayuu at 2014-4-30 02:05
WhiteBear Post time: 2014-4-30 00:21
"have You eaten" - means "I care about You" or.. "sorry mate, this is my time to eat, please don't d ...

Oh no, seriously no please.
You'd better not reply "cha bu duo" which means "Just so-so"

If you reply me "差不多chà bù duō", I'll be confused, totally have no idea what you mean.

I prefer you reply me "到处走走 dào chù zǒu zǒu" or "随便逛逛 suí biàn guàng guang", both mean "Just hang about (everywhere)"
Or you can tell me your destination if you are willing to.

你吃了吗?
uhhh.... Honestly I'm not sure how to reply this appropriately, because nowadays youngsters seldom ask this.
If someone ask me this, I'll probably reply "吃了 chī le"[Yes, I have] or "还没(吃) hái méi (chī)" [No, I haven't]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-30 01:35:41 |Display all floors
This post was edited by kodayuu at 2014-4-30 07:28
WhiteBear Post time: 2014-4-30 00:21

"have You eaten" - means "I care about You" or.. "sorry mate, this is my time to eat, please don't d ...

"你吃了吗?" doesn't mean "I care about you" or "sorry mate....." indeed.
It's a simple "Hello", like English often talk about the weather.

And there's a history that in tough time, most Chinese suffered from hunger. Since then, eating had become the top 1 they cared about. Gradually, "你吃了吗?" became popular

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-30 01:55:39 |Display all floors
Actually they don't mean to ask you questions haha!!
They just want to be polite and say hello to you, or want a dialogue with you

Use magic tools Report

Glod Medal August's Best Writer 2012

Post time 2014-4-30 07:39:42 |Display all floors
kodayuu Post time: 2014-4-29 18:24
Oh no, seriously no please.
You'd better not reply "cha bu duo" which means "Just so-so"

I'm sorry for missunderstanding - I dindn't meant to say "cha bu duo"  but to say "I'm going shopping" "I'm going home", something like that, not exact explanation (so I used "cha bu duo" as a "joke" as it is most worryingfull sentence I heard as a quality manager - meaning "unaccuracy")

Thank You for Your detailed explanation

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.