Author: voice_cd

Questions to ask English experts from Chinese learners   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-4-27 20:35:59 |Display all floors
alicebrooke Post time: 2014-4-25 21:50
Correction. If you are referring to nationality - as opposed to someone`s surname - then the corre ...

Haha, you beat the Scot to making this very comment :p

You know that every time I try to go
Where I really want to be
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-27 20:37:45 |Display all floors
dragon8 Post time: 2014-4-25 23:46
###

Sheldon Copper, the leading character of the popular American sitcom "The Big Bang Theory”, al ...

I disagree, in English I would say that the British, Australians and New Zealanders create more words than the Americans. This is just my personal experience, especially in Scotland where we make up new words everyday just to make our bad English even worse.

If you want to have fun with invented words, go look up urbandictionary.com   haha fun times
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-27 20:39:18 |Display all floors
dragon8 Post time: 2014-4-26 01:42
Even in American and British English, same words or phrases could be used in very different ways. So ...

No, the British call Jeans Jeans, and Khakis Khakis...the catch all word for any long legged lower body garment is trousers, the Americans say pants. We still differentiate though
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-27 20:45:30 |Display all floors
MichaelM Post time: 2014-4-26 03:41
3. It is quite common for Americans to say 'Sorry' as a way of apologizing. I use it whenever I make ...

Being British, I felt I had to reply. I think with american tv shows being big in Britain, they have changed our commonly used words, many of these are not true any more. Flat or apartment, we both use and we also say it's a flat for a tyre.
Both lorry and truck are fine. Lorry is normally what I would call the long articulated vehicles that carry petroleum or goods, I thought Americans said truck, not us? Wasn't there (or maybe still us) a huge trucking community?
We don't ever ever ever say W.C. and I hate it when Chinese people say it (for no logical reason :p) Toilet usually, bathroom.
We also use man and guy, man is very common actually.
Lift and elevator, we say them both.

I think it's interesting, I am sure such a list 40-50 years ago would have been correct but really, I think from the popularity of many American tv shows in britain, it has changed our vocabulary.

I still think it's spelled harbour by the way
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-27 20:52:03 |Display all floors
3. It is quite common for Americans to say 'Sorry' as a way of apologizing. I use it whenever I make ...

On Hindsight though, I felt I had to post again...maybe it's Because I am from Scotland, maybe the BBC English is different so I could be completely wrong I was thinking of what i would say only
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-27 20:52:19 |Display all floors

On Hindsight though, I felt I had to post again...maybe it's Because I am from Scotland, maybe the BBC English is different so I could be completely wrong I was thinking of what i would say only
It's already where I am
'Cause I'm already there

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-27 23:01:06 |Display all floors
Posting the word is a  copyright infringement ... Baz***ga is own by CBS.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.