Author: voice_cd

Questions to ask English experts from Chinese learners   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-4-28 00:40:37 |Display all floors
chinaimport Post time: 2014-4-27 23:01
Posting the word is a  copyright infringement ... Baz***ga is own by CBS.

You sound like a fan of Gossip Girls.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-28 06:46:14 |Display all floors
Considering that many ethnic groups from all continents in the USA , there are certainly many specific slang/phrase evolved that very interesting to do research on it

Use magic tools Report

Blogger of 2013

Post time 2014-4-28 07:18:03 |Display all floors
This post was edited by MichaelM at 2014-4-28 07:18

The only time I've ever seen W.C. in the USA is on blueprints for buildings. I was in the construction business for a number of years and most of the time say this there.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-28 08:12:12 |Display all floors
1. "Kablooie!" is an informal expression used by some westerners to indicate in an excited way that a contradiction was found. For example, "... which implies 1 = 2, kablooie!" which in formal English would be rephrased as, "... which implies 1 = 2, which is a contradiction, therefore the premises are rejected."

The character Sheldon in Big Bang Theory when saying "Bazinga!" is sometimes saying, "I am smarter than you. I one-upped you. I got you. Nya nya. And I am having fun making a joke of you. Ha ha nya nya!" However, sometimes the message in "Bazinga!" is friendlier, translated merely as, "Yay! I got the solution! I feel happy!" Certainly "Bazinga!" is not meaningless noise from the Sheldon character since the character would not utter a meaningless noise.

2. Responses to photos and articles in English may be called comments, replies, insights, feedback, compliments disambiguated from taking the complement of a set in Set Theory, support, according to the message in the response.

3. American and British English agree on very much, however, the sort of difference in language you observe is showing up with increasing importance in Finance (which is trying to work without mathematics) and in Economics (which never worked with mathematics). For example, yesterday i was correcting wrong English that was written in Financial regulations. The arithmetic is easy. The regulation stipulates employees are consider a finite set of companies by tallying their total sales each into a community total and then in the next column in a spreadsheet, write the proportion of the community total each individual total contributes. The financial badly written regulations tried and failed to say the same in a whole paragraph of many sentences and wannabe sentences which are missing verbs, and called the proportions "representatives" as though they were chosen from a set of similars, changing definitions willy-nilly to be as confusing as possible while seeming to try to sound smart. The thing about intelligence is we sound smart including while communicating straightforwardly about something simple and with simple words. So the financial regulators and economists who write that way to feign possession of brains are being stupid. I mention this since it is relevant to the real answer about the difference between American and British English. For example, some in the US Navy want to take forever to let America be a safe place for turtles whereas British policy as of 2012 ended the public debate of whether we the people prefer Stupid versus Smart leaders in our society.

4. Irrelevant to my areas of interest thus I prefer such questions go away from me. Accept I won't comment.

5. The experiment failed.

Jennifer Han Zhenhao

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-28 20:13:48 |Display all floors
不明
Playing Mahjong in Hangzhou world competition.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-29 02:35:57 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2014-4-27 15:00
Hahaha, you must be imagining things! China's MILLIONAIRES and BILLIONAIRES are China's real pr ...

Chinese millionaires have more money than European aristocrats.

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-4-29 19:39:39 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2014-4-27 14:59
It's about 500 Chinese parents who have one EMPEROR or EMPRESS per household. Thus China has the ...

Try telling that to Patrick in BJ, today he started sulking at me when I suggested he looked harder when he clained little emperors do not exist

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.