Author: JFenix

Does China Discriminate Against Males?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-5-31 21:52:49 |Display all floors
Yeah i'm a country girl myself, nothing  better than the countryside. And i'm afraid you are falling trap to what a lot of people do, just because they have seen a few examples they think it must be true.

Of course you are a little right, females do have some choice, because if they didn't then the evolution would be driver by males, in birds who do not migrate this is true, in migratory birds then females. Or you know peacocks and their big feathers.

Nature does not allow for such a wide skewing, although nature is not a thing its processes, so what happens is that there is always a fight. So the females look for cues. An example again is birds, females will listen to the males and will breed with the males that have the best song because song has been showed to be a true show of fitness, as birds that are malnourished do not have good songs, etc. Also colour, which has affected birds due to pollution, especially blue tits.

So the females have a choice, but they are also influenced by the males, in canaries, when the male sings the females solicits immediately, if you go to a pet shop that has them go on youtube and play the song that female will display (the shop keeper may get annoyed), the female stops functioning and literally just puts her ass up.

The males are always trying to deceive the females and the females job is to know when they are being deceived, that is most of courtship. Actually on my final exam at uni, the question was "do males act parasitic to the females in terms of courtship and sperm competition" it was interesting to answer. The males are not "proving" themselves to the females. And even in monogamous species, there is a lot of sneak mating, actually like I mentioned before the sneak mates actually get more offspring because they spend more energy creating sperm so have bigger testes e.g. dung bettles.

In terms of some birds they can even keep and choose the sperm they prefer, maybe a trait due to sneak mating?  Basically what I am saying is that I feel that people make assumptions from what they see (which is fair enough) but if you do not have the data to back it up, who knows you could just be watching an outlier, sometimes I was always taught, hence why we have to have so many test subjects.

Nature is survival of the fittest like I mentioned before, it's an evolutionary arms race, look up the red queen hypothesis ^_^.

I'm not saying females have no choices or that they make all the choices.

And I know you are speaking in general terms don't worry, just remember we want to pass on our genes so of course the evolution is directed towards picking good partners.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-31 21:54:42 |Display all floors
oxixoca Post time: 2014-5-31 21:23
In the limited time I had I could not come up with more species.

But the truth is in most animal sp ...
"the animal kingdom is not all gore, animals make decisions based on why they have lean red and trade-offs, the thing that costs them the less but gets them what they want is what they will do, and we do this as well."

I actually totally agree with you on this point.  I think I did a paper once where I mentioned this.  My point I was trying to make was that warfare was not natural in the sense that it is mistakenly attributed to 'animal nature'.  In the animal kingdom, there is usually always an 'out' in combat.  Rarely are there fights to the death - one can always surrender - generally speaking.  

So warfare and much of the violence we see in humans is learned behavior IMO.  Has nothing to do with 'nature' as it kind of defies basic survival instincts that you are talking about.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-31 21:58:57 |Display all floors
oxixoca Post time: 2014-5-31 21:52
Yeah i'm a country girl myself, nothing  better than the countryside. And i'm afraid you are falling ...

What do you mean by 'sneak mating' in humans?

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-31 21:59:01 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2014-5-31 21:54
I actually totally agree with you on this point.  I think I did a paper once where I mentioned t ...

Yes I completely agree with you hands down!!

Animals don't like fighting and avoid it at all costs as it is of course really really costly if they loose, they can die, get inured so defeats their purpose.

You will see animals will show signs of giving up like in wolves where they display the neck, a normal place for a bite of death.

And in social animals is looked down upon, for example monkeys, a monkey submits by showing its bum, there was an instant where the males fought and when the male had given up the other instead of letting it go scratched him severely, the rest of the members then followed to punish the male who had won because he wasn't "honourable" (not really honour but easiest word to describe it).

So we are not engineered to be mean to each other ^_^ just to survive.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-31 22:03:35 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2014-5-31 21:58
What do you mean by 'sneak mating' in humans?

Well the research was done to show that at some point in our evolution we must have had a situation where there where more females than males, and it is thought one male would have many females to protect from other males. And where females would choose to mate with other males when he wasn't looking or was forced too.
Much similar to what we can see in the animal kingdom today, like I mentioned before squids, however what I didm;t mention is that sometimes females allow the sneak male to mate with them as it adds more diversity to the gene pool ^_^.
So thats why in our subconscious it's still there, I think there is still research being done into this.
However (think wayyyy wayyyy back in out history, like caveman). No I am not talking about rape by renaming it sneak mating :S

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-31 22:08:47 |Display all floors
oxixoca Post time: 2014-5-31 22:03
Well the research was done to show that at some point in our evolution we must have had a situatio ...

I've heard of a theory called that refers to the 'sexy son'.  This theory states that females will first chose partners based on financial stability yet seek out affairs with attractive men.  Children from these encounters were raised in the family with the husband without his knowledge.

Would this be an example of sneak mating?

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-31 22:13:01 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2014-5-31 22:08
I've heard of a theory called that refers to the 'sexy son'.  This theory states that females will ...

Basically like the females in the animal kingdom we pick the male with the most resources/fit that will ensure the survival of our off spring. As humans though may not always be our "happiness" so I guess they are sneak mating but I'm not sure if we can appropriately use it :/

Woah, sorry to the people before, now i'm giving you a science lesson apologies.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.