Author: JFenix

Does China Discriminate Against Males?   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-5-31 20:13:15 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2014-4-26 00:34
You would think at least.  With the gender imbalance, females get to pick and choose as far as sea ...

"males certainly win in being more physically violent than females" yeahhhy, this is completely incorrect!
I study human and animal behaviour and all our studies suggest that actually being aggressive is counteractive and worse for that male and the surrounding animals around it.

Theres a good study done on that, just google scholar it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-31 20:20:53 |Display all floors
oxixoca Post time: 2014-5-31 20:13
"males certainly win in being more physically violent than females" yeahhhy, this is completely in ...

Well in many cases the animal kingdom shows more civility than human nature.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-31 20:30:32 |Display all floors
vf84tcat Post time: 2014-4-25 12:21
China clearly discriminates against males at security checkpoints. It says females can search males  ...

The security thing happens worldwide I think :/ don't quote me on it, but it's happened to me most countries I have travelled to, but in the UK however it's the same rules a female is allowed to search a male but not vice versa. But at most airports you have male and female staff so cuts out the problems.

I worked at M&S, and our policy was that men are not allowed into the womens changing room, not even if they have a daughter they have to go to the mens, however in the mens changing room its okay. My supervisor at the time gave me this line "it's because men think of women like their mothers so they won't mind and often prefer our advice, whereas women will find it shocking and an invasion of their privacy. No male employes are past the desk at opening" the male employees thought it was unfair, they could even be disciplined for it.

In China something similar happened my university has a forum where students can discuss say anything or post adverts, etc. And a girl posted that she was shocked and outraged that women would bring their sons to the bathrooms to shower, that they should not be allowed in and should shower on their own as she feels it was an invasion of her privacy for a man to loo at her.... ahhh -_-. Bearing in mind these children are aged 5/6, I though it was ridiculous.

Of course, the current news at the moment in the china daily, about a young male nurse that is making breakthroughs as it is seen as a female only profession, highlight that men are discriminated against.  

Although female discrimination can be more predominant at times and in certain countries it doesn't mean men are not discriminated of course they are, and in respect to China with the decrease of the female population I think maybe it may increase in certain parts of society and moments in life.

As a female, I can sometimes complain of the injustice we receive, however I am well aware the same happens to males, maybe instead of acting defensive and  pointing fingers at each other, we should evaluate what is wrong and bring an equilibrium, not making one sex better than the other. ^_^

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-31 20:33:23 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2014-5-31 20:20
Well in many cases the animal kingdom shows more civility than human nature.

once again, my Bsc is zoology, and although when I am angry I sometimes quote this, I know it's not strictly true, if only, if only...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-31 20:34:52 |Display all floors
Like I posted above, most problems in our society come from us not wanting to talk about the problem ignoring it or acting defensive.
We should acknowledge that both sexes suffer discrimination and come to an equilibrium

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-31 20:38:53 |Display all floors
oxixoca Post time: 2014-5-31 20:33
once again, my Bsc is zoology, and although when I am angry I sometimes quote this, I know it's ...

Well let me ask you something....from what I have learned, females in the animal kingdom have a wide degree in choice when it comes to mating.  Males may fight for the chance to mate with the females, but the females can turn them down if not properly motivated.  They still have to do stuff to entice the female to agree to mating.

I've heard many say that male animals just 'take' sex, that its more like rape and therefor they have justified rape as 'animal' behavior.  However, I am not sure that rape exists more with other animals compared with humans.

What are your thoughts on this?

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-5-31 20:44:25 |Display all floors
oxixoca Post time: 2014-5-31 20:34
Like I posted above, most problems in our society come from us not wanting to talk about the problem ...

I don't think we are at that point yet, at least no globally.  Maybe in the US.

But there is far more work to do to where we can just say 'both sexes suffer discrimination' - not when its so vastly different and lopsided.

Was just reading about another rape case in india where the victims were left hanging from a tree.  Teenage girls - raped repeatedly and then hung and left there.   

Things like this show that females are not seen as having any value.  If a person can do this to another - they have dehumanized them to a point where its ok to do this.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.