Views: 21812|Replies: 89

GOOD NEWS! McDonald’s closes restaurants in Crimea   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-4-9 04:59:54 |Display all floors
Apr 4, 2014

As tensions between the United States and Russia escalate over Moscow’s annexation of Crimea peninsula, McDonald’s has closed its restaurants in the region.

The three McDonald’s restaurants in Crimea, the Ukrainian peninsula whose residents voted in a referendum last month to break away from Ukraine and rejoin Russia after 60 years, were shut down earlier this week, The Washington Post reports, citing the chain’s managers.

The Ukrainian branch of the US fast food giant, based in Kiev, said in a statement on Thursday that they had been closed for technical reasons.

The US has imposed financial and other sanctions on Russia over the Crimean dispute. But American businesses haven’t been prevented yet from operating in Russia.

Though McDonald’s managers said the closing was temporary, they offered to move employees to other jobs in Ukraine.
Crimean officials have confirmed the news.

"There were only three restaurants: near the railway station in Simferopol, on the square near the central embankment in Yalta, and in Sevastopol,” Economic Development Minister Svetlana Verba told Interfax in a telephone interview Friday.

“There is nothing horrible in that. Another structure will come in," she said. “We don't need businessmen who do not want to be friends with Crimea, those who do not understand the situation Crimea is in, and those who don't support us. We will have no problem finding those who can calmly develop this business, occupy this niche."

McDonald’s has been operating in Ukraine since 1997.

The chain faces serious problems in the United States over its employees’ wage.

On Thursday, a group of fast food workers protested wage theft outside a McDonald’s restaurant in South Los Angeles as part of a nationwide campaign to press for a minimum wage raise.

The protests came two days after two former McDonald's managers spoke out for the first time about how they were forced to steal from workers' checks.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-9 05:00:50 |Display all floors
margarida:

Best news they can take their plastic poisonous food back to the US.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-9 05:01:35 |Display all floors
kongque:

McCrap closes? Well that is the best news to come out of the Crimea since they decided to merge with Russia again. I wish they would shut their poison parlours all over the world except for the USA where they can keep pumping the obese Americans with more cholesterol and heart disease. GREAT NEWS!!! KFC and McD should all be banned.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-9 05:03:34 |Display all floors
Jon:

That means the Crimeans will live longer!

NoMc is Healthier:

Another benefit of joining Russia, No McDonald's means less diseases for the people of Crimea.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-9 05:05:15 |Display all floors
Ali Tabriz:

Boycott Macdonald ,Save your family ,it is serious and , it will kill you believe me . Boycott Pepsi and coca cola both are poisoned , Boycott using US Dollar ,it is a blood money . Boycott US made product , stop the grow of US imperialism.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-9 05:07:08 |Display all floors
mcd:

now we are talking...crimea has joined the international non proliferation treaty of foods of mass destruction...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-9 12:52:22 |Display all floors
I like McDonald breakfast.

The coffee is good.................and the price, so cheap.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.