Author: buddy1

Dehumanization of black children in US   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-4-13 21:42:56 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2014-4-10 11:11
I am sorry, Oldie, but the way you handle the English language one gets tyhe impression you ofte ...

I'm not giving my personal opinion here, just stating an observation.  

There was even a study done on cab drivers in washington dc.  It showed them consistently passing a black person on the street to pick up a white guy.  These cab drivers where middle-eastern immigrants.  

The fact is that african-americans face prejudice from every ethnic group in the US.  Its not what I like to admit, but it is fact.

And you really can't compare europe with the US on this.  There is a much more brutal and humiliating history in america when it comes to african slavery and what followed.  If you think about it, it really wasn't that long ago that Rosa Parks made her stand against segregation.

As far as affirmative action - I'm going to say it worked and was necessary.  Maybe still is.  The social problems in the black community that is contributing to their negative image is directly related to poverty.

Its like with the roma of europe.  Just one mention of them and people automatically jump to thoughts of them involved in criminal activity, stealing, etc.  All of this is poverty-related.  Address the poverty and these issues start to go away.

So affirmative action is not a bad thing.  Not when we are talking about a large percentage of a group that is afflicted with poverty.

I don't condone black racism either.  I have two beautiful grandchildren that will be growing up with these prejudices against them.

And what I had said before on a previous thread about the issue of racism in the black community is spot on.  There are some very self-defeating attitudes in the poorer communities.  Speaking 'proper' is looked down upon - makes you a 'sell out'.  Well how do you expect to get a good job if you speak in ghetto and not proper english?  Saying things like 'I ax him bout it' doesn't make you sound very intelligent.  They make up slang all the time to talk where no one else can understand what they are saying.

As far as Obama goes, he did have an advantage.  His mother told him he could grow up to be president.  In contrast, due to our history, black families tend to pass down and prepare their children for racism and bigotry.  They start off thinking they have strikes against them.  Obama was not raised in that way.  His mother was an idealist.

It takes generations to change.  The civil rights movement was won, but it really hasn't been that long ago that there were separate drinking fountains and blacks couldn't marry whites legally.  Its shameful, but it is what it is.  We have to find some way to heal this.

You should look up what Bill Cosby has to say about this topic.  He has been trying to reshape a better image of african americans.  I respect what he has to say on this.

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-14 04:05:02 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2014-4-13 22:02
If anti-Black prejudice is so prevalent the reason might be one of two:

a) People in the U.S. o ...
But I doubt that third-generation Asian-Americans hold on to the same negative stereotypes about Blacks as new immigrants might do.

Asian-americans are victimized by african-american more-so than an other ethnic group in the US statistically.  

You should talk with cestmoi before jumping to conclusions like that.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-16 04:02:09 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-16 04:04:07 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-16 04:05:18 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-16 12:52:37 |Display all floors

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-4-16 18:58:53 |Display all floors
LaughsatYou Post time: 2014-4-16 04:02
It's not offensive, Usanians is a made up mean-nothing.

It is a testament to who desperate they a ...

The thing is, they use that word so they won't sound like such haters.  They'll give an intellectual answer for using the term.

To me, its like those that throw around the term 'zionist' so they won't appear racist towards jews.  Yet we know everytime you here that word, they really ARE racists.  

They're fooling no one.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.