Author: voice_cd

[Others] Do you have memorial day in your country?   [Copy link] 中文

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-2-27 23:27:03 |Display all floors
laincoubert Post time: 2014-2-27 14:21
Everything for businesses

Pity they did not cancel the war because it was bad for business.

Actully the war was good for many businesses, they made millions

Use magic tools Report

2015 Most Popular Member Happiest Member

Post time 2014-2-27 23:53:49 |Display all floors
This post was edited by KIyer at 2014-2-28 02:00
laincoubert Post time: 2014-2-27 16:21

as someone pointed out, war is good business... it shows the corruption of human values that its not the lives or memories that are more important, it is 'business' that is more important.
I have always cringed to hear political arguments in the West... often some politician or commentator will try to make a point - "t is not only good ethics or saves lives or prevents suffering, but also makes good economic sense or profit.
This is often the clincher - proving that the economics (euphemism for business profit) is more important and the final clincher of the argument. This shows where the human values rank in western debate. Now the frightening thing that I see is the same pattern becoming common in countries like India! It used to be so different when I was a child...
My friend the Black Swan

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-2-27 23:59:04 |Display all floors
laincoubert Post time: 2014-2-27 14:21

Are you in business? Maybe not.

China is a world power in business and needs to act accordingly. We can show our respect for those that lost their lives for us without having a day off.

Last Rememberence Sunday I was doing an exhibition in the UK so was working, it did not stop us having a two minute silence at 11am in order to remember

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-28 06:00:29 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2014-2-27 23:59
Are you in business? Maybe not.

China is a world power in business and needs to act accordingly.  ...

actually can not think of anything more important to have a day off for

to remember those who paid the ultimate price for our way of life we live as of now.
LEST WE FORGET.
Some countries its actually the day they were liberated or gained independence.

The Brits. do things differently I suppose.
just think moving the day, will slowly diminish its significance.Time will tell.
ExJ.H

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-28 19:59:29 |Display all floors
yes we have, but we use it to maintain memory and teach children what is totalitarism, nazism, racism, etc. Not as a nationalist tool.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.