Author: celinawang

Mothers and daughters of Kolkata's red light district   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-2-14 12:37:03 |Display all floors
It is so sad, but what other choice do they have???

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-14 18:54:06 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2014-2-14 08:39
Again, I am not sure where you get your " facts " from, I have never heard of the Albanian Mafia a ...

Try the Guardian, BBC and others.

This is an excerpt from the guardian from a 2002 issue.  This has been a problem in the UK since the balkan wars.

Raped, beaten, sold - a child's view of Albanian gangs' vice grip on Britain
Scotland Yard fearful at spread of violent crime across Europe into UK cities

Anna was 16 when she ran away from her pimp and was rescued from the streets by Scotland Yard's clubs and vice unit. To officers the treatment she received from Mustapha Kadiu was shocking, but it had a familiar ring; he threatened her at knifepoint and said he was going to kill her whenever she failed to earn between £400 and £500 a day (she charged £30 for straight sex). Rather than hitting her - as bruising would make her less attractive to potential clients - he punished her by raping her repeatedly.
Kadiu, an Albanian, ordered Anna (not her real name) to offer her customers unprotected anal sex to earn the money he required, but she told detectives she felt sick at the thought. Abusive as this was, officers discovered it was only part of a desperately sad story.

In protective custody where Anna finally felt safe, she started to reveal details of her past. This led officers out of London to Romania, where she was born and grew up. When she was 12 a relative sold her for £600 to criminals in the former Yugoslavia who forced her into vice. Her journey from there to north London illustrates the slave trade of children from east to west Europe for prostitution.

It also underlines the menace of a small number of Albanian criminals who have established themselves here over the past 10 years.

Bullying their way into the underworld, they have carved out a niche in the sex industry. Their signature is the willingness to use extreme violence, even by the standards of an exploitative and rough trade.

Kadiu, who had only been in the UK for five years, brought Anna to London in July 2001, when she was 15. By that stage Anna had already been sold on twice. Weeks after leaving Romania she was taken to the capital of Macedonia, Skopje, where she was forced to work in a strip club and have sex with customers. A few months later another gang bought her for £2,300. She was taken to Albania and then by boat to Naples, where she was again forced to work as a prostitute.

How Kadiu discovered her is not clear. But he decided he wanted her and had her kidnapped and taken to Rome, where he persuaded her that she should move with him to the UK to start a new life "off the game".

Behold the turtle. He makes progress only when he sticks his neck out.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-14 18:55:21 |Display all floors
wingless Post time: 2014-2-14 12:37
It is so sad, but what other choice do they have???

Sad?  According to the posters here, there is nothing sad about it at all.

They enjoy doing this stuff and should be allowed to.

- ignorant people, I just don't get it.

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-14 19:06:10 |Display all floors
futsanglung Post time: 2014-2-14 07:34
As usual you are going around in circles talking about indentured servants, another group you have ...

Does it matter?

What is more important is that globally indentured servitude is considered a violation of human rights and it is done so because the basis of human rights is that we all have the right to be treaty with dignity and there is no dignity in indentured servitude - even if it is their choice.

That is the precedent.  People enter those contracts willingly because they are desperate only.

I don't see a difference between this and prostitution.  Do you?

-  James Bryant Conant

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-14 19:37:41 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked
Roach Exterminator

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-2-14 19:50:33 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2014-2-14 18:54

This is an excerpt from the guardian from a 2002 issue.  This h ...

The Guardian is to the left what the Daily Mail is to the right.

Show me a BBC article on it and I will take it more seriously

Use magic tools Report

2016 Most Popular Member CD top contributor in April 2015 Most Popular Member Medal of honor Medal of honor

Post time 2014-2-14 19:50:40 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2014-2-14 18:54

This is an excerpt from the guardian from a 2002 issue.  This h ...

The Guardian is to the left what the Daily Mail is to the right.

Show me a BBC article on it and I will take it more seriously

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.