Views: 38431|Replies: 337

Mothers and daughters of Kolkata's red light district   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-2-8 16:43:18 |Display all floors
Why does the government turn a blind eye to underage girls engaging in sex work. How come their mothers could do this to their daughters?  They could sell their bodies for as little as £1. I cannot imagine what would be like if a baby daughter was born into such a family? That would be a lifetime nightmare, without any dignity. I am so grateful that I was lucky enough to be born in a country where my daughter can make a beautiful life for herself. I am sorry that everyone doesn't have the same opportunities.

In the shantytown of Sonagachi, one of Kolkata's most infamous and longstanding red light districts, women sell their bodies for as little as £1. While politicians and policemen are bribed into silence, it is estimated that over 12,000 women under the age of 18 engage in sex work. Photographer Souvid Datta moved from India to London when he was eight years old, but returned often to visit family.

At only 21 years old, Datta decided to make a difference. While most outsiders and reporters are pushed out of Sonagachi with violence and threats, Datta captures striking photos of the slum's inhabitants to reveal the truth. Datta focuses on mothers and daughters for his series "In the Shadows of Kolkata," which chronicles the endless cycle of sexual violence as traditions are passed on from parent to child. The juxtaposition of the adult profession with the innocence of youth adds an additional layer of disturbance to an already troubling theme.
1.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-8 16:45:17 |Display all floors
This post was edited by celinawang at 2014-2-8 16:45

1.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-8 16:46:16 |Display all floors
2.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-8 16:46:34 |Display all floors
3.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-8 16:46:53 |Display all floors
4.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-8 16:47:19 |Display all floors
5.jpg

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-8 16:47:45 |Display all floors
6.jpg

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.