Views: 4946|Replies: 12

Pet coke China's opium [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-2-5 07:59:06 |Display all floors

Converting tar-sands oil into usable fuels requires a huge amount of energy, and much of the black gunk that's refined out of the crude in this process ends up as petroleum coke. Petcoke is like concentrated coal – denser and dirtier than anything that comes out of a mine. It can be burned just like coal to produce power, but petcoke emits up to 15 percent more climate pollution. (It also contains up to 12 times as much sulfur, not to mention a slew of heavy metals.) In Canada, the stuff is largely treated like a waste product; the country has stockpiled nearly 80 million tons of it. Here in the U.S., petcoke is sometimes burned in coal plants, but it's so filthy that the EPA has stopped issuing any new licenses for its use as fuel. "Literally, in terms of climate change," says Stockman, "it's the dirtiest fuel on the planet."

With domestic petcoke consumption plummeting – by nearly half since Obama took office – American energy companies have seized on the substance as a coal alternative for export. The market price for petcoke is about one-third that of coal. According to a State Department analysis, that makes American-produced petcoke "less expensive, including the shipping, than China's coal." Petcoke exports have surged by one-third since 2008, to 33.4 million metric tons; China is now the top consumer, and demand is exploding. Through the first nine months of 2013, Chinese imports were running 50 percent higher than in 2012.

[backcolor=rgba(255, 255, 255, 0)]

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/how-the-u-s-exports-global-warming-20140203#ixzz2sOugzhxS
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook
I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-5 08:02:42 |Display all floors
Pet coke , it's the dirtiest fuel on the planet."......China is the top importer and demand is exploding.

This makes the China government the most irresponsible government in the world.

I've made my living, Mr. Thompson, in large part as a gambler. Some days I make twenty bets, some days I make none. There are weeks, sometimes months, in fact, when I don't make any bet at all because ...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-5 09:24:28 |Display all floors
Nothing new here.
I'm just here for the money

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-5 09:28:44 |Display all floors
Have "coke" in a "pet"-bottle once a day and you are free of lung cancer.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-5 13:48:29 |Display all floors
jay_dee Post time: 2014-2-5 09:24
Nothing new here.

They give it a cute name , pet coke, as if it is a house pet.

It is the deadliest, most dirty fuel. contains 12 times the sulfur compared to coal. It is a by product from tar sand processing.

America uses the oil..............China uses the pet.

That will make China government the most irresponsible government in the world.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-5 13:52:34 |Display all floors
jay_dee Post time: 2014-2-5 09:24
Nothing new here.

America uses the oil..............China uses the pet.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2014-2-5 14:31:11 |Display all floors
Delicious ice-age - that's advertisement on CD.

I want a Cornetto, too.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.