Views: 1082|Replies: 0

Female refugees suffer abuse in UK detention centres [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2014-1-31 04:04:44 |Display all floors
Jan 29, 2014

A new report has shed some light on the plight of female asylum seekers in the UK detention centres with victims of rape and torture being abused and intimidated.

The report by campaign group Women for Refugee Women (WRW) found that 70 percent of women in the controversial Yarl's Wood detention centre have been badly treated by male staff, with more than half saying they had experienced abuse either verbally or physically.

In the survey WRW conducted, one in four reported racial abuse, with guards being described as "patronizing, bullying and uncaring".

From among the respondents 85 percent said they had fallen victim to either torture or rape in their home countries.
Now in Britain, 93 percent of the women said they had suffered from depression with 61 percent saying they had even considered killing themselves.

According to the survey, the detention centre had put almost a third of the women under suicide watch, while a quarter said they had actually sought to commit suicide.

The report by WRW paints a bleak picture of damaged women being driven to self-harm and suicide.

One woman from Cameroon, who had escaped persecution and rape in her home country, elaborated on the terror she was subjected to in British detention centre.

"There were three big men and one woman to take me away. They took me to a prison in Stoke-on-Trent and told me that if I resisted arrest they would put me in handcuffs. I don't know why they have to have three big men to take a woman away, but for a woman who has been raped it is very frightening”, she commented.

"When the big door closed it brought back everything that had happened to me back home when I was in prison. I thought that I was going to be raped. The fear overtook me and I thought that they could do what they liked with me. I started to bang my head against the wall and beg them to let me go," the woman added.

The woman, referred to as Alice in the report, described how the experience had caused her to self-harm.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.