Views: 547|Replies: 2

Dishonest beauty in pursuit of profit [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-12-26 12:13:32 |Display all floors
A new buzzword doing the rounds of the media in China is "soft power". There are many manifestations, so we are told, of soft power, the "culture industry" being one. The culture industry includes, among other things, the performing arts such as songs, dance, music, theater, opera, puppetry and movies, as well as painting, sculpture, pottery and even handicrafts.
Indeed, there is need to promote  ...

--------Click here for more information--------

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-26 12:13:33 |Display all floors
This post was edited by LawrenceD at 2013-12-26 14:55

As usual, another great article by Op Rana. Frankly, I've often ignored commenting on the so-called "Chinese culture industry" because I didn't want to waste my time. The present Chinese "intellectual" pygmies are mostly shallow people who never understood BOTH Western and Chinese culture. They exist to ape the West, and have taken monetary profit as the starting point of cultural production. Quite unlike the pre-1978 Chinese conception of culture which was solidly from the people and hence distinctly Chinese. Chinese cartoons, for example, used to be recognized as a unique Chinese art form, and productions such as "Uproar in Heaven" not only earned respect from the West (at that time mostly political enemies of China), but even won medals and shown on television from London, Paris, to Moscow. I recall how, during the 1950s, the Chinese movie Liang Shanbo and Zhu Yingtai (Butterfly Lovers)took several foreign capitals such as New Delhi and Kuala Lumpur by storm. Some Indian commentators said the movie captured their hearts, and Hongkong/Taiwan soon imitated with their own version (starring Ling Po and Loh Ti). During the 1970s, the movie Liu Sanjie (Third Sister Liu) was the rage all over Southeast Asia, and it contributed to many tourists visiting the heroine's birthplace. The movies, songs, and musical talents of China's first generation were not perfect, but they spoke to people all over the world because of their authenticity, their very Chineseness.

The present Chinese aping of Hollywood movie productions had been carefully encouraged by the West which used its awards and the mass media like the Norwegians used their Nobel prizes. Cultural manipulation is merely one aspect of political hegemony.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-26 13:07:44 |Display all floors
Chinese do produce music of excellence, in the past, I think that goes for the West as well, nowadays the quality of music is so eroded and sexualized that it's no longer about the music. Just recently I listened to the Christmas songs, and I realize how great the old Christmas songs were compared to the latest Christmas songs, I don't think people nowadays appreciate music anymore in this age of instant gratification, no one wants to make the effort and sacrifices necessary to make things the best they could any longer.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.