Author: 1584austin

Muslims another step closer to ruling the UK   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2013-12-24 02:17:47 |Display all floors
seneca Post time: 2013-12-23 23:50
Muslims working in a Christian country hold the key to making themselves and their non-Muslim coll ...

But for some people religion is a big part of who they are, as it is for me. So it's a big ask!

As I said I worked in Arab countries in which I went to church on Sunday and if someone tried to tell me that I can't do that or put on the backseat, I would just say try and stop me. I don't care what country you are in nobody has that right!

Anyway it was nice chatting to you and I wish you a very Merry Christmas

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-24 02:24:20 |Display all floors
This post was edited by Pingu66 at 2013-12-24 02:42
Laowai2? Post time: 2013-12-23 23:51
A contract is whatever two people agree to. If it states you get Christmas day off then you get it ...

Dude! I'm quite sure that you did not own any retail businesses in the UK. Anyway, most businesses in the UK don't state which specific days an employee has off to cover their own back as they might need that employee to work on that day and the employee can just refuse. That's why they just put the number.

Also a contract is not just what two people agree to. As a business owner in the UK You would know that there are certain things that need to go in that contract which are covered by law. So it's two people + law = contract.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-24 02:31:55 |Display all floors
Laowai2? Post time: 2013-12-23 23:54
Most people with families would like Christmas day off. Why should some get it and not others? To g ...

So you're saying that most families which include Muslims want Christmas day off. I'm quite sure they would want Eid off not Christmas. As you stated before that you worked in the UK, so you would know that the Racial Discrimination Act covers all races.

It was nice chatting to you and I hope you have a Merry Christmas!

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2013-12-24 02:54:17 |Display all floors
This post was edited by 1584austin at 2013-12-24 02:56
LCSULLA Post time: 2013-12-23 04:45
If certain people do not want to handle specific items, or even want to refuse serving customers des ...

NEW QUOTE FROM M & S

Marks & Spencer has apologised after a Muslim member of staff refused to sell a customer alcohol.

The retailer said that where employees have religious beliefs that restrict what foods or drinks they can handle, it tries to place them in a "suitable role".

An M&S spokeswoman said: "We regret that in the case highlighted we were not following our own internal policy."

The issue arose after an unnamed customer at a London store told the Telegraph they were "taken aback" when an "extremely apologetic" Muslim checkout worker asked for them to wait for another till to become available.

The customer told the newspaper: " I had one bottle of champagne, and the lady, who was wearing a headscarf, was very apologetic but said she could not serve me. She told me to wait until another member of staff was available.

"I was taken aback. I was a bit surprised. I've never come across that before."

Drinking alcohol is forbidden in Islam, and some Muslims refuse to handle it.

M&S said its policy applied to staff of other religions, not just Islam.

The spokeswoman said: "Where we have an employee whose religious beliefs restrict food or drink they can handle, we work closely with our members of staff to place them in suitable role, such as in our clothing department or bakery in foods...

"As a secular business we have an inclusive policy that welcomes all religious beliefs whether across our customer or employee base.

"This policy has been in place for many years, and when followed correctly, we do not believe that it should compromise our ability to offer the highest level of customer service.

"We apologise that this policy was not followed in the case reported."

The case highlighted differences among retailers on whether religious staff should have to carry out certain jobs, the Telegraph said.

Sainsbury's guidelines say that there is no reason why staff who don't drink alcohol or eat pork on religious grounds could not handle them, the newspaper said, while Tesco said it made "no sense" for staff who refuse to touch items for religious reasons to work on a till.{:soso_e181:}

An Asda spokesman said it did not have such a policy in place, "but if any colleague had a serious concern about anything then we'd look at that on a case-by-case basis". Morrisons would "respect and work around anyone's wishes not to handle specific products for religious or cultural reasons", the Telegraph said.{:soso_e181:}

Use magic tools Report

2018 Most Popular Member 2016 Most Popular Member Glod Medal 2015 Most Popular Member 2012's Best Moderator Medal of honor August's Best Contributor 2012 July's Best Contributor 2012 Gold Medal

Post time 2013-12-24 03:01:44 |Display all floors
Pingu66 Post time: 2013-12-23 22:27
Not sure if it's a European thing but in the UK it needs to work both ways. Staff need to be happy ...

The Muslim on the till wasn't asked to drink it, just take money for it.
She wasn't going to actually 'touch the champagne' JUST THE BOTTLE IT'S IN !!!!

My Daughter is a Vegetarian her beliefs cause her not to eat red meats, but life goes on and she has to cook for her husband and children and for their sake doesn't mind at all.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-24 03:15:49 |Display all floors
JFenix Post time: 2013-12-23 21:35
It must be a european thing to put the worker before the business owner.

I think of it this way.. ...

A European Thing?
Just because of a loud fringe minority thinking that way?
Putting Union Workers before the bottom line? GM comes to Mind.
I already quoted Marx in this thread (albeit indirectly), find it.

您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU1Nzg0NDky.html - “用现代文明标准比划中国人,是严重的种族歧视行为。”
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2013-12-24 03:34:12 |Display all floors
1584austin Post time: 2013-12-24 02:54
NEW QUOTE FROM M & S

Onel, especially the little fringe here, may take note that sainsburys policy is confirmed by muslim religious scholars.
Maybe that Lady could've checked herself with one as well before hurting her employer's interest.
Needlessly hurting your employer's interest => Infedility/embezzlement.
How about remembering herself that piousness is about her own acts,
not about being a douche to outsiders infringing on them.
Catholics e.g. are not supposed to eat meat on Fridays,
a Uni Cantine I've been to before in a protestant city thus served:
Fish with a single piece of bacon on top.
Perfect Opportunity to offend every single other major Religious Group there is in Germany.
Catholic rules also demand,
that if you eat out, you gotta accept the hosts hospitality.
So take the bacon, it's tasty.

您买象牙 - 您杀了大象!
http://v.youku.com/v_show/id_XNjU1Nzg0NDky.html - “用现代文明标准比划中国人,是严重的种族歧视行为。”
„Ich ficke wo, wen, und wann ich will, hast du mich verstanden. Auch du könntest ficken, aber du kannst es ja gar nicht, deine deutsche Genauigkeit... verbietet es dir“. Jean-Claude Juncker

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.